The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BLIC Magneto
I'm in California. I'm British.  I just bought a 1925 Austin Seven. I really need a good working Magneto and cannot seem to find one. Does anyone have one they can sell me please.
Hi 
Fit a MAG-COIL CONVERSION fit and forget from Austin Reproduction Parts TEL 01202 625242
You might find that one of the many rebuilders of aircraft magnetos will fix it for you. There's more to a magneto than at first apparent - this is a good primer (though aviation-based) https://www.cessnaflyer.org/maintenance-...e-101.html
As Cessna alone has built over 80,000 examples of just their Models 150, 152 and 172, there's lots of magneto experience around - each aircraft is fitted with two of them.
Sorry, can't help.
A good properly rebuilt magneto is fine. The problem is finding a good one to rebuild and then getting it properly done. This all takes time (good rebuilders are rarely short of work). To be honest unless I see the receipt from one of a small handful of rebuilders any secondhand mag is just that, a used mag. If your BLIC is iffy it may pay you to buy a mag coil conversion as an interim whilst you have the BLIC rebuilt.

C
I'm afraid I can't help with a magneto source, but I am in Seattle, so a bit closer. I know of a couple of Sevens in California whose owners might be able to help. As well, there are owners in Vancouver BC who likewise may be able to help. What is the issue with your BLIC?

Erich in Seattle
I can recommend a very good Magneto chap, a Brit, though he is based in Northern France (why wouldn't you...) PM me if you'd like details...
In my view the BLIC is a good choice. It is a rotating magnet machine, and I know from experience that it is easy to change the coil because it is mounted on the outside under the cover. Whem mine started shorting to earth on the cover I broke a bit of wood from the hedge and put that on top of the coil so that the clamp would keep the mag in place. The following day I drove more than 200 miles before the coil insulation failed elsewhere. After replacing the coil I have continued using the BLIC for another 30 years. Sorry I don't have a spare for myself or to sell, but it worries me far less than the BT-H on myt Riley.
Thanks, I'm an aircraft dealer.  The Slick and Bendix mags are nothing like this BLIC and the repairers of them are a lot like other mechanics these days. Fail and replace, no understanding of how it works or how to fix it. I've asked.

Thank you for this.  I called and I am going to buy one.