The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Genuine Ulster(Ulster Rep) bonnet rubber
I have been trying to find a replacement bonnet rubber for my 1932 Tourer, and have experimented with those that were on the market a couple of years ago.
The top sample in the photo is original moulding taken from three different 1932/33 cars that were in totally original unrestored condition with original paint. I am 100% certain that this is the correct Austin moulding. The same moulding was used on both the scuttle and the rad cowl, and it makes for a perfect fit between bonnet and scuttle.  I have no experience of sports models, but I remember my 5 or 6 or so unrestored 1930s Sevens in the 60s and 70s all having this same moulding.
The second one down is the solid moulding available from Willie Mackenzie (and maybe others).  I find that the step up in this is not high enough, causing the bead to point upwards.  It also lifts the bonnet to a slightly higher level than the scuttle, and the wire clips are not hidden.
The third one down is from Seven Workshop (and maybe others).   This one works somewhat satisfactorily, but again it tends to lift the bonnet too high, and the ensuing exposed bead is too wide and rather unattractive, more obviously so with light coloured bodies. Also, the wire clips are not hidden.
The bottom one is the from Edgware (moulding 447).  It comes with rather too much curl rendering it tricky to fit correctly, but it looks good when it's on and is probably the best of the three.  I believe it is no longer made, unfortunately.
I would be very happy to be able to buy bonnet moulding of the original Austin profile, as I am sure many others would. Maybe there would also be a demand from owners of other cars also.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Genuine Ulster(Ulster Rep) bonnet rubber - by Mick Hobday - 05-07-2020, 09:20 AM