The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Genuine Ulster(Ulster Rep) bonnet rubber
Just to perhaps muddy the waters a bit more - I have just bought scuttle rubber for the RM I am in the process of rebuilding, from the Workshop. The width is perfect, however when compared to the width of the rubber on our Ulster it is a good 1/8th inch wider. I have discovered that what is now on the Ulster was bought from Kirby Whiske back in the 1980s when the car was being resurrected and I cannot now remember if I trimmed it down or not Blush.
Not sure if that helps particularly but anyway.......
Tony
More importantly, can you remember what was on it before you put the Kirkby Whiske stuff on? Any early pics?
Erich - some photos of pertinent details from a largely untouched 1931 car for you  - albeit a saloon...

.jpeg   3B8A6B25-38D4-4258-907A-6AA1A5730A8B_1_201_a.jpeg (Size: 173.77 KB / Downloads: 253)

.jpeg   3B8A6B25-38D4-4258-907A-6AA1A5730A8B_1_201_a.jpeg (Size: 75.2 KB / Downloads: 248)
One thing is puzzling me after reading this thread. As I understand it, the factory made 168 EA sports models for sale to the public, in the years 1930-1932. Knowing that Lord Austin was a canny fellow as far as money is concered I fail to see any economic reason why he would design and commission a short production run of special form bonnet rubbers for the "Ulster" models when there must have been literally yards and yards of the stuff already available in the factory.  No doubt Erich has already investigated the cost of having a short production run of bespoke rubber made, and is therefore no doubt well aware of the additional cost entailed. I cannot for the life of me comprehend why Austin would do this for such a small number of cars, compared with the volume production. It just doesn't make any sense. 

I am of the opinion that there are more important things to worry about in this life and I am now going to water my tomatoes.
Ruairidh - does that car show any sign of an indent/recess in the rubber? Can't tell from your photos.

Reckkers - its not that the Ulsters may have something special, it may be that all the OTHERS had something which is subtly different from what they all have now... from the evidence of things like that Ruairidh car and Henry's first images (of very original saloons).

As life has no real purpose anyway, this IS equally purposeless - but interesting while it is raining outside. It will enable humans to gradually get Austin 7 knowledge into some sort of order - to the best of their abilities - before the asteroid strike.
(04-07-2020, 11:01 AM)Jon Wrote: As life has no real purpose anyway, this IS equally purposeless - but interesting while it is raining outside. It will enable humans to gradually get Austin 7 knowledge into some sort of order -  to the best of their abilities - before the asteroid strike.
Sunday, 23rd November 2098.
Although there are lots of fancy simulations online, but this calculator allows you to set your own frightening parameters and then describes what happens at your location. https://impact.ese.ic.ac.uk/ImpactEarth/...tdens=2500
Here's two shots of my unrestored 1931 saloon

.jpg   P1040826.JPG (Size: 53.4 KB / Downloads: 204)

(04-07-2020, 10:50 AM)Reckless Rat Wrote: One thing is puzzling me after reading this thread. As I understand it, the factory made 168 EA sports models for sale to the public, in the years 1930-1932. Knowing that Lord Austin was a canny fellow as far as money is concered I fail to see any economic reason why he would design and commission a short production run of special form bonnet rubbers for the "Ulster" models when there must have been literally yards and yards of the stuff already available in the factory.  No doubt Erich has already investigated the cost of having a short production run of bespoke rubber made, and is therefore no doubt well aware of the additional cost entailed. I cannot for the life of me comprehend why Austin would do this for such a small number of cars, compared with the volume production. It just doesn't make any sense. 

I am of the opinion that there are more important things to worry about in this life and I am now going to water my tomatoes.

Exactly! 

This is the scuttle trim used on my Ulster. The trim around the radiator cowl is the same. I can guarantee that it is 100% original to the car and exactly as it left the factory Wink

Steve
Ruairidh and all, thank you. Reckkers, I agree that this seems to be getting out into the weeds a bit. No doubt, Austin would likely not have made a special run of rubber for just the Ulster. Perhaps it was bought from an outside supplier. Regardless, here in Seattle, we are still in lockdown and that gives me time to ponder the esoterica of the thoughts behind the Seven design. It is true that for most things, Austin would have been happy to buy or make something for the whole range. Yet with the EA, the crankcases, blocks and heads changed throughout the production run. If I can help contribute to the knowledge base, then that is a positive.

Erich in Seattle