The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A world of indifferences
Reading the recent thread I started on beaulieu.

It's obvious how people are are feeling the same as myself. That we will have another covid spike. Over full beaches, Brixton music partys, Manchester raves, black lives matter marches. why wouldn't we have a second spike.

All this to me shows me what an ignorant self centred world we live in?

That is as a nation, NOT AS INDIVIDUALS. if you see what I mean.

Tha indifference to this, is this morning. I needed to collect some cranks from regringing. The company that does this for me is 45 mins away. A mix of back roads, and main 60 mph A roads.

The little supersport loved it, sitting nicely into the corners on the back roads on the new tyres from longstone. And wanting more than the 60 to 65 mph I held it to on the main road.

I was followed 90% of the time by some sort of modern car.

AND THEY ALL RESPECTED THE FACT I WAS IN AN OLD CAR.

How wonderful the world can be.

Thanks tony.
Sadly, where I live, I usually find a BMW on my tail, trying to run me off the road. I'm usually driving the Chummy, which is good for 50mph on a reasonable road so I'm making good progress but the modern drivers here have no time or patience to recognise an old car.
Moreover, we live on a main road and trying to turn right into our drive with semaphore or hand signals, well you take your life in your hands. I have been overtaken on at least three occasions while signalling a right turn and slowing down.
These days, I fit flashing indicators to all my cars, just so that modern drivers can see what I'm doing. It makes sense.
Yes, happened to me on tuesday hand out for signalling to to turn right, big fat Audi zoomed past shoving me into nearside verge.
(26-06-2020, 08:17 AM)Parazine Wrote: Sadly, where I live, I usually find a BMW on my tail, trying to run me off the road. I'm usually driving the Chummy, which is good for 50mph on a reasonable road so I'm making good progress but the modern drivers here have no time or patience to recognise an old car.
Moreover, we live on a main road and trying to turn right into our drive with semaphore or hand signals, well you take your life in your hands. I have been overtaken on at least three occasions while signalling a right turn and slowing down.
These days, I fit flashing indicators to all my cars, just so that modern drivers can see what I'm doing. It makes sense.

Yes we are in the minority, after I was passed while doing a right turn using hand signals I realised hand signals mean nothing to the current generation of drivers so all my cars now have very bright indicators.
Cheers

Mark
Living on the edge of civilisation has its advantages. Up here dual carriageways are seen as a modern innovation that may eventually catch on, motorways are for them folk down in Lunnon who only venture up here in their Chelsea Tractors at the weekend and most rural roads are incapable of sustaning traffic at speeds approaching 50 mph.
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
Last summer I went to my friends house in a nearby town in my Ruby. Entry to the town is via a short clear quiet dual carriageway, just before the town there is a roundabout. I had to turn right at this junction. I pulled over to the right, put on the right indicator, right semaphore and put my right hand out giving a hand signal to turn right. You guessed correctly a Clio came right across my bow, fortunately the brakes on my Ruby are good. The clearance between the cars could only have been inches. I told my friend about this, he suggested sending a text the next time !
Tod
How long before there's a requirement for pushbikes to have direction indicators?
I live near Cambridge where there are quite a few bikes on the road. Indicators are a good idea, but I would settle for some lights of any kind, particularly in winter and for cyclists to actually use the road rather than the pavement and to wait for a red light in the usual way, rather than cycling over the pedestrian crossing and shouting at pedestrians for being in the way!

I'm going back into the garage.
i find locally motorcyclist are pretty good. perhaps because so many use there bikes for pleasure, rather than just maniacs on there way to work.

i know some will frown, but i use all my cars without any sort of indicators. and usually just one rear light. yes the little AT201. even in the dark.

when indicating, i really swing my arms about. so hopefully im seen. even if it just drivers thinking whats that idiot doing.

perhaps i was just lucky, as all the idiot in the country were on bournemouth beach.

tony
If you think turning right in a Seven is hair raising try it on a bicycle, one such junction I use has a zebra crossing soon after it so cycle up to the crossing get off and cross the road there. I step into the gutter so that it is clear I'm on the crossing and wait, this is usually accompanied by somebody throwing the anchor out and a squeal of tyres from the following cars.