The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setting up Accuspark Distributor
No problems with the mechanical fitting but I have a hopefully simple question regarding the electrical connections for the Accuspark unit. As no one else had asked a single question about this I have to assume I am being dense but wanted to be safe rather than risk blowing electronics.

I am fitting to a 33 box, positive earth.
The instructions state that my current set up will have positive/CB coil connection going to the distributor.

Looking at my Austin wiring diagram it agrees, with CB positive to distributor.

However, what I have is the negative  terminal of the coil attached to the distributor. And I definitely have positive earth, with the positive battery terminal attached to the body.

The Accuspark instructions then go on to show the final set up with the negative terminal of the coil to the new distributor.

So, with my starting point apparently different from that described I am not sure quite  how to proceed.

Having done some checking it seems a coil will work whichever way round it is wired but will give a stronger spark if wired 'correctly' with positive earth having positive coil contact to distributor.

So should I ignore what I have and effectively change round the leads to give a new starting point for the Accuspark to then follow instructions?

Unfortunately I had already removed the old distributor before discovering this so cannot simply reverse the coil contacts on the current set up to see the it works OK before adding in the variable of the new dizzy.
Thanks for any thoughts

Cheers
Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Andy,

1. Take the ignition feed wire off the coil completely and attach it to the white wire coming from the new distributor n.b. I remove the ring connectors and make a soldered nipple joint for this connection.

2. Take the black wire from the new distributor and attach it to the (-) side of the coil.

3. Make up a new wire to attach to the (+) side of the coil and run this to earth.

Hope this helps,

Ruairidh
Thanks Ruairidh
Perfectly clear. So it looks like my coil has always been 'wired the wrong way round' so I ignore the + or- aspect and just go for supply, which is perfectly logical.
Should be able to finish off tomorrow.
I'll report back.
Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Just be sure that you follow the instructions, you can bugger it up if not
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Interesting, as I was just thinking that I didn't write down the changeover/swap instructions from the OLD thread which is now difficult to find. It might help to use this thread to resurrect all the other extra info that was thought sensible over and above the makers notes?
Father aeems to have somehow managed to turn the polarity on what is now my daughters RP. To a point where even the red battery cable goes to the negative.

It was a poor starter, and turning the polarity of the coil improved it no end. So they certainly do work arse about face
(15-11-2017, 09:01 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: make a soldered nipple joint for this connection.

Could you just clarify what this means in practice. I presume it's stronger/safer connection, but I can't visualise what to do?
Jon,

do you have a positive earth Accuspark (white and black cables)

or

a negative earth Accuspark (Red and black cables)?
A 33 Box should normally be negative earth n'est-ce pas?
Ruairidh - I'm a negative earth...