The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
two question - both drive train related
This is sort of a He shed/ She shed story. SWMBO has decided that she wants half of the shed to be hers for a potting shed. The goodish news in this is that I can finally justify making the shelves I should have had all along. A significant portion of the contents of the shed is the Austin 7. I have put both engines on dollies and can roll them under the shelf. However, all would fit so much better if I could remove the crank and the gear lever.

I presume the gear lever is just a matter of the 4 nuts holding the top of the panel on the transmission? Are there any springs that will sproing if I open it or is there anything else I need to know?

Similarly, is there a way to remove the crank from the front end?

thanks all

JP
I'd suggest separate sheds to help with the storage....and avoid cross fertilisation!
Wink 
(24-06-2020, 11:11 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: I'd suggest separate sheds to help with the storage....and avoid cross fertilisation!

wise words but alas impossible - though I do have the garage as well and to be fair, SWMBO never ever gets to park in the garage.

OTOH we are going to 'build that wall.'
Mezzanine ?? No problem removing the nosepiece or gearbox cover. Make a hardboard blanking plate for the gearbox to stop all the compost dropping into the gearbox.
When I found our Box saloon, it looked like someone had used the inside as a shed - so be warned !!
Removal of the crank handle is self-evident - remove the cotter and pull it off. Removing the nose-piece involves first pulling off the fan pulley which can be tricky, especially if you do not have a suitable puller. It is then usually necessary to remove the dynamo housing, although I have on occaision been able to remove the two front screws/studs and leave the housing in position.

Once this is done, removing the five screws will release the nose piece - but beware of the trapped oil!
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
jpsmit Wrote:However, all would fit so much better if I could remove the crank and the gear lever.

I presume the gear lever is just a matter of the 4 nuts holding the top of the panel on the transmission?

Similarly, is there a way to remove the crank from the front end?

I assume the gearbox is three speed? Four speeds have 6 bolts Wink

Storing the gearbox "open" will invite dirt, insects and rodents to fall inside. I had an open 12/4 axle in my shed, when I pulled it out, a oil sodden mouse corpse oozed out...yuk! Better to make a cardboard cover to keep the box closed. An even better answer is to make an aluminium or sheet steel cover.
The top cover will release easily and there are no springs to catch you out.

I take it that, by the term "crank", you are referring to the starting handle? The "crankshaft" resides deep in the engine, too deep to trip over.
The starting handle is retained on the shaft by a bicycle type cotter, that can be knocked out and the handle removed. The aluminium housing that takes the starting handle shaft is secured to the crankcase with 1/4W bolts and can be removed but this operation will open the engine to invasion by the aforementioned dirt, insects and rodents. A cover would be more difficult to fabricate for this position. The dynamo housing will need to be removed as well....
When removing the starting handle cotter be sure to support the boss of the crank handle. It is very easy to break the nosepiece if this is not done.
thanks all for this advice - will report back!
The fan belt pulley can be very stuck on. Pulling or levering will probably break it. If you want to remove the fan belt pulley, undo its nut, jam the pulley with a piece of wood through its holes. Turn the starting handle, which will release the fanbelt pulley which has no keyway and is just aninterference fit on the camshaft taper.

To release the starting handle, prevent the engine from turning by jamming the flywheel, remove the cotter bolt from the starting handle and turn the handle. This will rotate on its shaft and come loose. As others have said, be sure to support the handle as you drift the cotter bolt out.
quick update - got the gear lever off and made a nice cover for the gearbox. The crank is actually on the second engine so slightly out of reach until maybe tomorrow - weather permitting.