The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice needed please.
Hi all, just found quite a drip at the front of my engine. Looking further there is a crack about 2mm wide at the bottom of the nose piece. Is this common? I wondered about a nylon or brass bush between starting handle & nose piece as a temporary measure until winter? Also would it be better to weld rather than replace Mine with a second hand one. Last Q. How difficult to remove & replace- can it be done by tilting engine rather than removing. Any advice or comments please 
Thanks in advance Kevin.
1. Yes a nose piece can be welded but you'll need someone with a TiG to do it.
2. Dependant on model you should be able to remove it without raising the engine but you will have to remove the radiator and shell.

3. If the starting handle shaft is worn, don't park the car facing downhill...
Whereabouts is the crack?
If it is at the starting handle in it is probably caused by overenthusiastic hammering of the handle cotter pin.
It's important to support the shaft before hammering.
Jim
If it is at the bottom of the nose cone i would use JB Weld or similar to make a patch Big Grin
Thanks for the replies. I guess ham fisted me caused the crack. A bit embarrassing after a lifetime in engineering. Hey ho - onwards & upwards. Keep safe guys and don’t believe Boris.
There you go Tony, What did I say! Wink
????? Please explain.
2 mm is very wide for a crack.Are you able to post a photo?
Kevin it can also be repaired with gas welding.
I agree it can be done with gas but much better with tig. Main thing is getting rid of all oil. Just hoping nose cone will come off without pulling engine.
Kevin.