The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sealed hub bearings
Hi
I have been working on the distorted rear hubs on my ‘37 Ruby and with the aid of a pressI think I have a reasonable result.
Decided to fit sealed bearing, can someone  confirm that, as a result, I do not need to pack the hub with grease ? 
It rather goes against the grain.
Ian
You don't need to 'pack' the hub with grease whatever hub bearing you're using sealed or not. The handbooks might have said you should but all that does is cause it to find its way out and onto the brake shoes. Fit a sealed bearing as it comes with no additional grease (how would any additional grease find it's way into a sealed bearing?) Fit an unsealed bearing with sufficient grease to fill the bearing itself. That's all that's needed.

Steve
and you still need to fit the felt retaining washer/spacer.  usual apologies re grandmothers and eggs.
Thanks for the replies.l just wanted to confirm the rather unnatural thought of an A7 not leaking oil everywhere. Just been replacing a thermostat in my “ old modern” a 1994 fiat panda , a sort of modern Austin7 !
Ian
Attitudes to expenditure on Sevens now are very different from the traditonal. But Seven wheel bearings are very generously sized and as long as no hint of pitting very reuseable, esp at the rear where clearance does not have to be close and is better if not, and fit in the housing less important..
There have been very extensive postings on all this. If the axle housing is not too worn a modern seal is very helpful. The main justification for sealed bearings is i f the diff tis filled to the recommended level and/or the internal side seals aged, diff oil finds its way into the hub. A sealed bearing helps to stem the flow.