The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gould bodies
Just trying to unite the likely 79 Gould SWB GRP Ulster bodies via a new facebook group, and aware that there are a few cars likely to be known through the Friends forum. Most of the bodies have a body number recorded on the N/S outside of the battery box underneath.
In some cases a car is known, but due to colour and reg plate changes, the body is now not! Some newer owners won't be aware.
Any information - please make contact.. or search on Gould Replicas and Specials on Facebook... its a closed group.
Hi Jon,

I have body number 7, it has been on a Ruby-based special for the last 27 ish years and is green, prior to that it was on a rather nice replica Ulster - grey with maroon wings somewhere in the Leicester area.

Incidentally "7" appears on the top of the tunnel, right at the front end. I was told this was typical of the early ones.

Any idea when number 7 was produced?

Peter.

Peter - I reckon 1972/3 from Chris's notes. Pearl Grey originally. And I don't think it would be out of place here to say it was originally made for a Costigan! Is there a white paint stencilled number on the N/S of the battery box underneath too? The body numbers are cropping up in different places. Would be interested to see a photo of yours.
(21-06-2020, 10:12 PM)JonE Wrote: ... Pearl Grey originally. And I don't think it would be out of place here to say it was originally made for a Costigan!  ...

Yes. but not me! That was brother Stephen's car, or body at least; I thought he had number 7, but wasn't sure enough to comment on this thread. It was originally built on a 1930 chassis, I think it might have been DH 8465, and as Paul says, he painted it grey with red wings. The grey was VdP Carlton Grey to match the Talbot my father owned at the time, and the wings were red to match my black and red Ulster that I was rebuilding. Good to know it's survived, even if the car Stephen built is now in two halves!

Edit: late 1972 or probably 1973 sounds about right, he certainly bought the body some time after the Longbridge Rally..
Chris's file notes account for the supplied body colour being a mix of black and white resins to give a grey - 'but still intended to paint'. All the Mk1 cars were supplied in a colour requested, and were simplified to supplied black by Mk 3.
Hi Jon  My Gould body is number 23 which is stencilled on the battery box I bought my body secondhand from someone in Whiltshere it has been on my special for 20 years and has given me so much fun and enjoyment including several years 750 mc Trials Alan
great. This is like Bingo!
Alan - the last of the mk 1.
Originally black and again, I don't think it Vince Leek would mind that it was known it was made for him originally. c 1979.
Here's number 7 as I bought it. The wings went to a fellow 750 member who preferred the touring look. There was no battery box when I acquired it.

Peter.

.png   Body number 7.png (Size: 1.25 MB / Downloads: 954)

Two pictures of Number 7 as first built, from the late 1970s before the VSCC banned fibreglass bodies:

Thank you for posting those Mike. Another snippet of my little car's history.

Peter.