The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Paint for radiator.
Can anyone recommend a suitable paint for the radiator core on my 1932 Tourer?  Thanks.
This is the stuff I use.
https://itstillruns.com/paint-car-radiator-6472182.html
Hmm, not too sure about the 3-4 coats the article mentions. The radiator guys I dealt with [albeit on 'moderns'] blew a well thinned single coat of paint over the core. Never made a note of the product, and it was probably proprietary,  but it smelt as if it had a very high VOC content, certainly it dried very quickly and looked to have good coverage. Maybe ask your local radiator repairer?
I used Halfords Matt black, seems ok to me.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
+1 for Halfords Matt Black spray. I think it's an acrylic based paint.
There is a matt/satin finish black product called "pot black" sold by motor bike shops etc, intended for engine barrels and such. I use it on the head and block. It dries quickly without leaving brush marks. No good for exhaust manifolds but ok for other bits subjected to reasonably hot temperature.
Try Hammerite HIGH HEAT in Matt Balacck - designed for woodburners and such.  A quick dusting over is all it takes - dries almost instantly on contact and looks 'right'.
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
Thank you for the suggestions. I thought there might be a paint specifically for radiators, in fact I see there are some with Frost Restoration but they're out of stock. I suspect they're regular high temp paints repackaged as rad paints anyway1
I'll go with a heat resistant matt black aerosol.
I just squirt some 'Tough Paint' satin enamel at it if it's looking a bit tatty.
Jim
Aldi matt black stove spray can, £3:99.
Did mine 8 or so years ago and has never flaked.
Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!