The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bent axle
Morning everyone, the N/S axle tube on my 1927 A7 is bent, at least 1/4" out. Is there a firm that deals with this problem? preferably in the South East. Or would it be best to try and find a good replacement? Any help would be most appreciated. Rob Southend-on-Sea.
I think it would be best to replace it. Have you tried Tony Betts for a replacement I know he posts on here.
I use hydraulic press to do mine was not
Hard to do but does need two of you to
make it easier to do not a lot of pressure
Needed
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
Did you make a curved die so you don’t squash the tube?
Another way to straighten axle cases is using a home made setup like this one. Don't have a photo of doing a Seven axle but I have done a few.

[Image: 33723379793_befdb23877.jpg]

[Image: 44061670300_c8ce11e151_z.jpg]

Much easier in my experience when using some heat on the inside of the bend, which is of course opposite where the jack bears in these photos.
I used v blocks had no problems with denting
Or flattening the tube?
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
I agree with spannerman I have used a Porto-power and vee blocks and you can straighten axles easily and accurately cold.
When working on old straight axle cars it is often surprising to measure the rear toe in/out and camber! A lot used to happen in the life of  cars before the first little bump activated  air bags and initiated wrote it off.
Stuart,  I see what looks like a laser pointer and target being used (?) is that the method you use to gauge straightness?  I've heard of cones in the axle bearing seating and tensioned piano wire being used to gauge truck ones, and also of a mandrel with dummy bearings passed right through the side bearing and axle bearing seatings but I never managed to see it being done?
Just curious.
Yes,
It's a laser pointer that's mounted within a piece of round bar which is then inserted in a simple adapter at the axle end. The laser target is the centreline of the differential; the advantage of using this is that the laser will shine through any smoke which the heating has caused in the axle.

I have used the mandrel and dummy bearings arrangement too, but it is a bit of a faff having to continually assemble/strip it all to see whether the casing is in line. A7 axles can be interesting because in my experience the hole in the hub is not always concentric with the wheel bearing seating which acts as the true reference point on any axle.