The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RP sliding roof runners
Having got to the bottom of my RP sliding roof troubles (the one I commissioned to be made 25 years ago turned out to be 3/4" short - and that made all the difference) I have now asked Martin Prior to provide one of the correct dimensions (it wasn't him 25 years ago, I hasten to add!). He and I have just had a conversation about the best material to use on the runners to provide easy, trouble free operation. We both agreed that the original seemed to be a form of dense 'felt' but we have both, independently,  failed to find the ideal material over the years. Has anyone found the perfect material for use on the runners and, as a follow up question, the best method of affixing the chosen material to the metal runners...

As ever, thanks in advance for any suggestions...
Hi Hugh
I CAN SUPPLY CORRECT FELT TEL 01202 625242
Regards
Willie
Hi Willie, probably a silly question, but where does the felt fit, and what is used to fix it.  Confused
Regards
Smiley.
It goes on the top and bottom surface of the 4 runners on the sliding panel. Originally they were held on by small rivets, brass possibly. I will try and replicate that with some small ali rivets, flat topped, not domed...

But that might be a little more 'experimental'...
Thanks Hugh,  I will check on my RP to see if the felts are still there. I have used the Sliding Roof but never
noticed if there were any there. Undecided
Cheers 
Smiley.
I used 3 mm felt but I think 4 or 5 mm would be bettter.
Before and after pics. Works fine. Use plenty of Vaseline, not grease.

.jpg   20190702_080536.jpg (Size: 206.56 KB / Downloads: 154)

.jpg   20190702_080753.jpg (Size: 141.54 KB / Downloads: 154)

.jpg   Felt runners.jpg (Size: 194.57 KB / Downloads: 154)
With the installation of NEW felts I would caution against the use of ANY lubricant.  A silicon spray as used on zippers if you must.
The rails also should not be goopy (technical term).
Couldn't have been an Austin, no lights on in the garage !
Russell - why do you say no lubricant? I get the lack of goopiness (technical term) on the rails, but I could see some lubricant on the felts being beneficial?
The felts that I removed from mine had been soaked in some form of lube for over 80 years. I asked the felt manufacturer and he cautioned against grease but stated that Vaseline, other similar such products are available, would be fine to use on British manufactured felt.