The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headlamp dip switches
Can anyone provide a definitive answer as to when the column dip switch on the RP was changed to a floor switch?  Rinsey Mills says from chassis 179368 but the parts list for 180000 onwards on the A7CA Archive (1029b) shows a column switch BG199.  I've tried to glean an answer from the Index Cards but failed.
I must admit I always thought it did not not come in until the Ruby model.
That is my understanding, too.
No not chassis 17968,my RP chassis no 181095 has column made late september 1933. Looking in the "spare parts" dealer list, it states floor operated (BG263) year 1934-5. No month listed.
I have a funny feeling that my Fathers 1933 Box Saloon had a floor mounted dip switch.
Twas a long time ago when I last drove it ( 1981 )
The column switch was never intended for the combined current of two, often now 36 w, filaments but just for the momentary current and low holding current of the solenoid dip. So it is appropriate that many cars have been retrofitted with alterantives.
[center]     [/center]

This is definitely not an original dipswitch position  When the lights were just six volt bulbs, there was no need to dip as they barely lit up anything. The conversion to LED however, meant that dipping was necessary when other cars came towards us, or out of politeness approaching time controls in the dark. The dipswitch was wholly inaccessible to the modern foot size, and so was altered to hand control. If lockdown continues, maybe I should paint it black. Oh yes, that's a feed line for certain usual suspects to break into "I see a dipswitch and I wanna paint it black..."
In 1932 an RN saloon would have had a column mounted dip switch and double dip 12 watt headlamps as standard, so presumably the switch was rated for 4 amps Bob
My RP is March '34, chassis number 192xxx and came to me pretty original. It had column mounted dip switch and single dip headlight (with the solenoid). I have fitted double dip lights using the original switch and a changeover relay hidden under the dash.
My rp box has never been restored or messed with and has a column mounted switch and registered June 1934