The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The wearing of face masks whilst working
Hello all, Having just finished working on my Severn with my son and having to wear face masks because I am self isolating. It soon became apparent when wearing glasses they steam up immediately with your own breath as the warm damp air escapes from the mask upwards.  Does any forum reader know of any method to prevent this. It is something that I hadn’t thought of until we both put on our masks.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I sometimes have the same problem using a mask without a noes-pinch strip, if that the correct word for the metal insert in the top of the mask which allows you to pinch it in to grip yer 'ooter
My wife, a retired theatre nurse with much experience of wearing a mask, says, put the mask on before the glasses and make sure that the nose pieces of the spectacles fit over the mask such that they are, in effect, fulfilling the function of the "nose pinch strip" referred to by Duncan.
Wipe  the lenses on the inside with a  very tiny amount off washing up liquid,
Andy
When I did my basic training in the Colonial Police in Northern Rhodesia in 1960, we wore goggles and gas masks when performing 'riot control'.  The solution to goggles steaming up in the African heat was to rub a VERY thin film of quite stiff grease on the inside of the lenses.  Thankfully after training I moved to a plain clothes unit and thus was never required to test this theory. If you can find some, it was called 'makwala'...
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
(16-06-2020, 07:22 PM)Bob Olive Wrote: When I did my basic training in the Colonial Police in Northern Rhodesia in 1960...
Ok. Its a long shot. You know that thing when someone says I'm from Canada and another person says wow.... do you know Bob, like you are going to know everyone...

My parents had a friend when we lived in Edinburgh in the 70s called Alistair Bullman, an ex Rhodesian policeman. His wife Liz made the most amazing melk tart on a crushed biscuit base that stood about 2" tall. My sister lost the recipe... I don't suppose there's a similar recipe in the Olive family archive?
I use the mask you use when spraying paint
They seal a lot better and my glass,s
Dont steam up at all
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
I was having the same problems whilst cutting slabs with an angle grinder and was even taking the mask off so that at least I could see.

Someone recommended these which are definitely much much better.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/3m-aura-9312-...r-p1/80115

John.
I have always had that problem too when wearing masks for painting/grinding etc.
To be honest I have not found a 'disposable' mask that solves the problem.
I have taken to wearing a full 3m respirator type affair like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-Dual-Cartr...Sw-o5erfMx

larger initial outlay but is very comfortable particularly when hot or wearing for a long period and better for your lungs if you are wearing for fumes etc.

I also have a cheap face shield to use with disposable masks, which is better for grinding etc anyway and of course easily used over prescription glasses if you need and protects them from splatter.

When I have worn a disposable mask for a quick job I have reverted to the scuba diving technique for keeping your glasses clear of misting, a little bit of spit rubbed over the inside face of the glasses. Don't know what enzymes do the trick but they do. it is quick and there is an immediate supply of course.

I also wonder if RainX might work, never tried but it might stop the mist from sticking.

Andy B
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
I empathise John, often afflicted with this problem myself. My own approach is as Ian suggests, spacing your specs slightly forward over the mask works better; however I will study the other solutions proposed here with interest.

I can't help feeling there's a wonderful business opportunity for PPE that works better and is less intrusive.

Whatever else may I take this opportunity to emphasise the importance of using proper safety gear. I recall my father treating such things with a certain amount of contempt and I have myself often been tempted to shift the damn screen out of the way so I can see what I'm doing. However some of the tools and materials at our disposal can have very serious, instantaneous and lasting effects on one's wellbeing and in my experience those who suffer such things deeply regret failing to take simple precautions.