The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin Motor Company - Special Police Force??
I have in my possession a Birmingham Special Constabulary truncheon emblazoned with the GR VI crown and with The Austin Motor Co 'Flying Wings' and dated May 10th 1926 all within a cartouche on a red and gold background. According to my research this date was during the General Strike of that year. 
Does anyone know anything more about this?  
Presumably 'the Austin' had their own Special Police Unit with the factory? Be nice to know...
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
Hi Bob, are you sure it's not George V? George VI did not become king until 1936. 

Otherwise, I can't really help with your query. I doubt if any special assistance was needed from the police during the general strike, Austin workers enjoyed higher than average wages and the worker/management relationship was supposed to be very good. Presumably the size of the workforce justified the allocation of Special Constables as a matter of course.
As a follow-up, David Howe tells me he also has one of these truncheons. His understanding is that there was considerable unrest in the vicinity of the Longbridge factory, and that they were presented to the local Special Constables after the strike as a memento.
My father's uncle was in the Austin police. One of the Austin film, possibly "Men who Work" features a police Sargent closing the gates as the last worker leaves. When my father watched the film he named the Sargent; but I can't remember the name.
I also have a truncheon but mine is stamped BP (Birmingham Police?) and AUSTIN and a uniform button; typical shape with the wings badge on it. The story goes that they bought the truncheons from the Birmingham police. I will have look for the button and post a photo if successful
Thanks everyone, and Mike, you are right, of course it was George V and not VI (Freudian slip on my part, plus a bit of annodominitis...)!  David Howe's story ties up with the description of one for sale on www.gunstar.co.uk and their photo is identical to mine. Lowespeed's description sounds very different though, and thus the plot thickens...
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
There was a set of silver uniform buttons on Ebay recently - I wondered about their origin.

Peter.
Austin Police button, make by Gaunt and Co, of Birmingham, who also had a London office. Back of button stamped Gaunt London
.gif   IMG_0658.gif (Size: 32.38 KB / Downloads: 120)