The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
understanding 3 speed gearbox conversions
Hi Jon,

I swapped an "Andes" pair of 2nd speed gears into my Chummy gearbox as one of my first "Lockdown" projects in early April. It's a quick and easy change to make; it took a day to remove the engine and strip the box and a day to replace the gears and rebuild the box. The engine needed some further work, which I was held up on parts for.

The "Andes" gearing replaces the (usually) very worn 2nd speed pair and makes the gear nice and quiet. The change in ratios is fairly noticeable, allowing a higher speed in 2nd gear to be obtained. I felt I needed this as 3 speed cars do not mix well with 4 speeders, especially in hilly areas and on "follow my leader" type runs. However, the relative speeds of the gears are different and I'm still having trouble getting my gearchanges right after the change.

I had another iteration of Chummy thirty years ago, which I rebuilt from a VSCC trials car. This had a very worn gearbox with the worst gear being 1st, all the trials sections had knadgered it, which is unusual. At the time, I didn't have any spares so it remained in the car and I learned to live with the noise!

Messages In This Thread
RE: understanding 3 speed gearbox conversions - by Parazine - 16-06-2020, 08:54 AM