The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Petrol filler pipe
Hello all, I own a Mk1 1935 Ruby. I am trying to fit a new rubber hose (Acquired has  from Seven Workshop) between the petrol filler tube and petrol tank but finding it extremely difficult due to the confined space between the inner rear wing, side of the spare wheel compartment and petrol tank.  Any suggestions are more than welcome as I have never had so match trouble fitting a hose that is only held by two jubilee clips.  I have resulted to using a few choice words but apart from making me feel better has not helped at all.

I am inclined to sign this off with Desperate of Nottinghamshire but will sign of as normal with
John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Is the hose maybe too tight? I fitted mine without difficulty, but that was a hose from David Cochrane. As usual, washing up liquid was the lubricant.
Thanks for the advice Andrew. The pipe is not to tight as I can get it to fit on both petrol tank and filler neck but not both at the same time. My problem is I don’t see to well these days but tomorrow my son is coming over to see if can fit it. I bet he does and will be ribbing me about it for weeks.

John Mason.
Poor eyesight can be a major problem, better test it, try a drive to Barnard Castle when you're on the road again.
I can confirm that it is possible to fit it to a Mk 1 ruby as I did it on mine but its a ***** of a job job that you will wish you had never started.

Rubber lubricant, much swearing, and perseverance will get you there eventually. Pushing the car outside to get more light on the subject may help.

Good luck!
I replaced mine a few weeks ago, I did not remember when I first did it how much of a fiddle it was, I undid the filler pipe & slid this upwards, fitted the pipe onto the tank and then pushed it down - it was remembering that the securing nuts for the clamp on the filler pipe are accessed from in the car with the back seat out. Used silicone lube - the angle of the rubber has to be carefully aligned before inserting and the lube makes this much easier! Takes longer than a five minute job!
Thanks for all the advice given. Today with the help of my son (to be correct I was helping him) it is now on the car and everything is ok. My son said it was a b***dy awful fiddle saying he only thought moderns had things in tight places to get at.
I don’t know if he was trying to make me feel better but stated that my extra pair of hands helped.
Peter I will not be driving to Barnard Castle or anywhere else as I had to give up my licence and driving three years ago due to poor eyesight that will not get any better. I am now registered partly sighted I still like my Seven though and can manage quite a lot of the small jobs. You never know though my son may drive me to Barnard Castle although his eyesight is good.

John Mason
Hello John
I take my hat off to you for having the enthusiasm and tenacity to maintain a car that you can no
longer have the pleasure of driving. I hope your son is as good a chauffeur as he is a pipe fitter.
John , I totally agree with Colin's comment. When I had my Garage business, my partner who did the bodywork was one of the best I ever knew. He was then registered as blind as he was suffering with macular degeneration and I often had to advise on paint coverage,but he could feel any blemishes in the panels. He has now almost completely lost his sight but his sense of touch is incredible.