The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removing steering arm
I have removed two steering arms on Sevens and replaced with the Dave Cochran ones.  I am now doing the same on my Pearl, but I can't get the old one out.  I'm using a piece of oak as a drift but seem to hit my fingers more than the target. Ouch! I have resisted metal on metal as I'm scared of damaging the threads. I've tried WD40 but it just won't budge.  Any hot tips out there?
Use an alloy, or brass drift and big hammer. Why worry about the threads if replacing.
Just throw the old one away
Give the old one to Tony to go with the wonky con rod, can then start a museum.
I'm only worried about the threads in case I can't get it out and need to keep it intact.  I'm wondering if there is some axle movement (worn spring shackles?) and therefore any blow is mitigated by the stub axle absorbing the impact.  Perhaps I could jam the axle against the wall........
Get some heat round it.
Even a hot air gun sometimes works
Robin. Put the nut back on but don’t tighten it. Just put it on enough to take up all the threads on the nut. Then hit it with a big hammer but this time you have a bigger target and the threads are shielded from damage. Once it starts to move and takes up the slack remove the nut and continue to drive it out. You will find that because it has moved the remainder will come out easily.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Seems unusual. Has someone welded it anywhere? By gripping the flat arm with  a Crescent or similar could try applying a 
reasonable rotating rocking force. Pity to ruin an arm which just might be OK.
Whatever you do the seatig surface must not be damaged. The distribution of the contact is important.
Thanks that seems like good advice.
Success!  Thanks to everyone who helped - reminding me of the trick to screw back on the nut, to use a metal drift not a wooden one and to have the courage to give it a huge thwack.  I feel a bit silly, really!
Don't feel alone in your supposed silliness Robin. All of us suffer from it from time to time! Good to hear you are sorted.