The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lucas Lights
Is there a catalogue or listing available of the differing types of Lucas lights available in period?
I get confused between R40's, 510's 47's etc and the variants/differences of each type.
The nearest I've found online is a 1939 catalogue online but a definitive article or catalogue would be educational.
Good afternoon. I have been making and restoring Austin 7 lights since 1974 and spent the kid's inheritance on original Lucas documentation.

Headlamps.
1922 - c 1924      CAV bell shaped headlamps, 5"
1924 - 1928         Lucas R510 scuttle and for a brief period forward mounted 5" No pilot lamp.
1928 - 1931(2)    Lucas R47 6". R40's were never fitted to A7's.  Single filament bulbs. The first RN's were supplied with R47's fitted with Lucas - Graves dipping filament bulbs and reeded glass.     Pilot lamp fitted.
1931(2) - 1933    Lucas Type 35/32. The 32 referrs to the angle of offset to facilitate wing mounting. Reeded glass. Pilot lamp fitted.
1933 - 1934         Lucas  LB130. Flat Diffisa glass, N/S Dipping solenoid mechanism. O/S off when dipped, on when on main. Pilot fitted.
1934 - 1936         Lucas LB130. Curved Tear drop glass, dipping as above. No pilot
1936 - 1939         Lucas L131, and later 133, a more pointed shell with glass and dipping as above. No pilot.
Sports models had the same profile lamps but were verticall mounted.

Side lights
R510's were wired such that their single filament bulbs were in series 3v when on 'side' and parallel when on 'head' 6v.
1934 - 1935         Lucas LD 108. with a reeded effect glass. Twist on rim
1935 - 1939         Lucas LD 109, screw fitting rim, reeded effect glasses appear to have been phased out over the period.
Oddly all the glasses are marled LD 108.

E&OE. I am always happy to be advised differently.

Regards from the creative county Staffordshire.

Stuart

The 1931 (2) -1933 Lucas Type 35/32 were fitted with the Lucas/Graves twin filament dipping bulbs.

Stuart
Thanks Stuart.
That is the best explanation I've seen - as I'd expect!
In a box of orphan parts kept for a future project I have an R47 B shell. How is that different from a normal R47?
Hello Charles, thanks for your kind comment. R47's have variations, some have pilot bulbs some not. Also earlier ones have a reflector with a deep rim which engages in three spring loaded slotted components rivetted to the bowl. Later ones have a reflector with a narrow rim with three slots which engage with three spring loaded finges attached to the bowl.

Best regards

Stuart
Some guidance on the different lamps can be found in the Parts lists digitised on the Archive web site. Page 28 of this one for instance

http://archive.a7ca.org/wp-content/uploads/PL_353K.pdf

from early 1927 is interesting for the number of lamps shown. I am not knowledgeable enough to give any commentary to that page (or any other!) but Stuart might find it of interest...
quote: I have been making and restoring Austin 7 lights since 1974.

Are you still doing this Stuart?
Good morning. Thanks to the Archivist for reminding me that I omitted the following:

Following the CAV bell shaped lamp type FWP the following was fitted

CAV AP 5" notable for its screw on rim and lack of directional adjustment. Then followed the Lucas R510............

I have the parts list to which the Archivist drew my attention, I haven't seen the other lamps shown fitted to Austin 7's but that doesn't mean they are not out there..................

I am still making and restoring A7 lamps.

Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire

Stuart
It is possible to convert some of the R40 variants to R47 spec the main difference is the Rim, an R47 Rim is not quite a straight fit but with a few simple modification to the R40 shell they go on and are then indistinguishable.
Black Art Enthusiast
Hi Stuart
I've sent you a couple of emails but they bounced back.
What is your email address?
Me too Stuart- just tried to send you some Lucas lamp details

Apparently not at btinternet !