The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New member question.
(12-06-2020, 01:11 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: I can quite understand Andrew's ambivalence at this stage; I'm sure the car will grow on him given time.

Put it this way, over a period of over fifty years' of driving in which I started in Austin Sevens, I have twice sold up and moved on thinking that was a motoring experience that I had enjoyed but outgrown; it's telling that I am back yet again, and enjoying the experience just as much as I have ever done.
Ditto. We both did rather a lot of "Sevening" - and it's wonderful to be back.
I can only talk of my own experiences as a ageing novice to all things Austin Seven but I am besotted!
I purchased my A7 through my brother (a big seven owner) without ever seeing her, an early type 1936 Ruby, back in late 1983, whilst in my early thirties. For all intents and purposes a basket case, an empty shell on all fours but definitely not a runner.
I had never driven or ridden in one, but just had a real desire to restore an old car and a seven seemed to be an obvious choice.
My restoration started well, body off, complete rebuild of all mechanicals throughout, then like Andrew, my restoration stalled but in my case for nearly 30 years, children, finances, work etc and she just became a lot of stuff in the garage taking up room...however once retired I was able to complete her over a three year period finishing in late 2018. My dream of completing a full restoration fulfilled.
Now I cannot express in words the sheer joy it gives me every time I take her out of the garage.
I know she is not the finest restoration you will ever see, there will be those who will point out things that are not”correct”, but she is all my own work, she is a piece of history that I feel I have saved.
As Mike says, I am sure she will grow on you!
In terms of road use I have not driven her anywhere near as much as I would have liked to date, too many months lost last year to hospital procedures and now COVID 19 this year have somewhat hampered things, but I just get such a real kick out of driving her.
She is nothing like any modern, she has even acquired an old car smell even though all of the interior including all woodwork is new all because the original simply wasn’t there, she is not easy to drive, it is an effort, she is not quick, she is not quiet, but the smell of engine oil and fuel waft around delightfully and provided I do not have to use the brakes she is pure joy.
I have had her up to 50mph ........by the speedo ..... and was really pleased how smooth and stable she felt, personally I have not and would not take her out onto a motorway and avoid fast dual carriageways wherever possible.
But she is simply Ruby.
Colin, as others have said, before leaping into the unknown, test drive one. I have a standard 1933 box saloon which I restored in the 1980s and have been using and abusing ever since. Compared to anything post war or modern the performance is crap, as are the brakes. Handling can be best described as interesting. It's noisy, draughty and slow and certainly not for motorways and fast dual carriageways, but despite all its foibles and weaknesses it's still giving sterling service after 87 years, returning on average over 45mpg. I've lost count of the mileage it must have done ( the odometer is on furlough) but it will romp up any hill or mountain you point it at, and will always get to where you want to go, eventually. It's  a bit cramped inside but the ride's not bad. There's no heater, air con or bluetooth, no power steering, stereo or carpets. The lights are crap, but converting to LEDs can help if you like driving in the dark ( I don't), but despite all its shortcomings I was happy to drive it to Santiago de Compostella and back last year, solo, with no back up. It never missed a beat over the 8 day journey. Others on here have done similar (and even more demanding) odysseys and their cars have always been a testament to their reliability. The important thing is to accept an A7 for what it is. A 1922 design that is simple and reliable, refined over its production lifetime but remaining basically unchanged. If you remember that it's an icon of motoring history and a mobile museum piece that will give you years of pleasure for a bit of TLC now and then, you'll not go far wrong.
    Hi Colin, I wanted a 7 from the day I passed my driving test 55yrs ago, saw a Ruby in the local paper for £18.10 shillings £18.50 today. My dad who worked in the motor trade talked me out of it-slow, rubbish brakes etc,etc & that was that. Fast forward 51 years & I finally bought one after selling our 4 motorbikes on doctors orders. I bought a PD open top two door without even sitting in it. The first drive my wife and I wondered what the heck we had bought. It was slow, rattle, wandered all over the road and almost refused to stop. 4 years & lots of work & a lump of money later it’s a totally different car. It steers well, stops reliably and is a joy to drive. Over the 4 years we have done about 1000 miles. Everyone you meet knows someone who has had a 7. As long as I am able to drive it will never be for sale- every mile is a buzz that puts a smile on my face.
Buy one and enjoy.
Colin,

You don't say where you are but I am sure someone on here will know of a local Austin 7 Club you could visit on a day with a number of cars (hopefully soon). 

You will most likely be able to see the range of cars and possibly even be allowed to drive one, although as mentioned driving what is a true vintage car is very different to driving a post war classic.

The earlier models are the best for full vintage fun.  Big Grin
Hi Colin,

I built a special, which I still own and love, about 10 years ago. It's based on a 1927 Chummy. I have owned a number of 50s and 60s classics over the years, but this was my first experience of a vintage car. When I first drove it, it terrified me. But I stuck with it, just making local journeys at first, on fairly quiet roads. Building up to a point where I began to genuinely enjoy the driving experience, and am confident driving it anywhere. Although, personally I would avoid motorways! The crash box takes some getting used to, as do the period brakes, but there is a genuine feeling of achievement to be had by learning to drive one reasonably competently. So if like me, you initially find it difficult, or intimidating in modern traffic, stick with it. It will get better. Now, I can honestly say my Seven has given more smiles to the mile than any other car or 'bike I've owned. I doubt I will ever sell it.

Cheers, Robin
I bought my 1934 RP in 1971 aged 16 after reading Colemans Drive borrowed from the school library. Between 1972 and about the early 80's the car was doing 10K or more miles a year as a daily driver for me or my then girlfriend later 1st wife. I did go through a period in the late 80's and 90's when I did not enjoy driving it as much mainly due to the increased speed, density and impatience of modern traffic, but this was in the West Midlands. I nearly sold the car when we took to life afloat in 2007, however I was prevailed upon by my wife to put it in storage (she was happy for me to sell the much more derivable S3 Lotus Elan) and am now glad I did. We have plans to come ashore and I am looking forward to being able to get reacquainted with regular Sevening. It does it for me but it is purely personal. As Frankie Howerd used to say "How do you know if you haven't tried it".
"...a late 3 bearing engined Ruby is a very comfortable (comparatively) quiet little car indeed and capable of almost 60 mph."

Just a thought - whilst some of the surviving 3-bearing (Autumn 1936 onwards) Rubys and Pearls might now do 60mph, they were originally capable of a maximum of about 50mph and, in my experience, tend to be happiest cruising at 35-40mph, along with other Sevens.  Such speeds seem more in keeping with the capabilities of the chassis and brakes on the open road for these relatively heavy saloons and quite quick enough to require fully engaged driving?    

Colin 
On more than a few occasions I have introduced people who only know modern cars to the 'delights' of an Austin 7.

The emotions/reactions have invariably followed a predictable pattern:

1. Apprehension.

2. Nervousness

3. Caution

4. Surprise

5. More nervousness

6. Faint grin

7. Faint boldness

8. Big grin

9. Relaxation

Never ceases to amuse me...
Yes, this is how it went when I once offered a work colleague, Richard, a ride to a garage a couple of miles away:

Definitely unsure, but he got in (1)
Looked round at the scruffy and work-a-day interior - flaking dash paint, corroded chrome and no headlining at the time (2)
and decided to get out again (3)
But couldn't find a handle - he was a large chap and filled the space well.  So I started the engine (4)
He continued to looking vaguely for an escape (5) 
I told him not to worry - I had done a few thousand miles in the car - it would get him there in one piece (6)
He seemed resolved to try so we set off (7)
Once we were underway he got the idea it might actually work (8)
We arrived at the garage and I let him out (9)

He still mentions it to this day...