The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel system cleaning
I've started to clean the fuel system on my Ruby,  it having broken down due to muck in the system,  I've drained the fuel tank,  couldn't believe the muck that came out,  blown through the fuel line,  I'm going to clean carb and fuel pump,  I've pushed wire down the inlet in the tank,  I can push it about 9 inches,  is that about as far as you can push ?
I'm going to put a inline fuel filter before the pump to help,  can anyone suggest anything else from experience. 
I'm trying this to save taking the tank out !
Thanks guys
My experience of Rubies is virtually non-existent, but I had similar problems with my RP when I first bought it. If the tank is similar to that of the RP, then the end of the pickup tube will be just above the tank drain plug.. If you remove the plug, you should be able to poke the wire all the way down and through the drain hole. You will probably also find that the well in the plug is full of rust.

Again, on the RP, the fuel pick-up is surrounded by a 'wigwam' fuel filter gauze, which not only becomes full of 'crud' but also stops you from getting out any rust and dirt that has accumulated. My tank was also baffled, which made it impossible to clean out effectively, even with the tank off the car.

I ended up 'biting the bullet', removing the tank (yet again!) and had it professionally cleaned and sealed. It wasn't cheap (about £200)but it was money well spent. I suspect you very well may have to do the same.

As an afterthought, I also ended up replacing the fuel line front to back, as this had become restricted.
The tube is exactly 9” long if you do not have the drain plug out your wire will be hitting it.

One picture shows the pipe just above the drain plug, the other taken through the sender hole attempts to shown the filter, in this case heavily blockef
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
(11-06-2020, 07:55 PM)morrisminor Wrote: I've started to clean the fuel system on my Ruby,  it having broken down due to muck in the system,  I've drained the fuel tank,  couldn't believe the muck that came out,  blown through the fuel line,  I'm going to clean carb and fuel pump,  I've pushed wire down the inlet in the tank,  I can push it about 9 inches,  is that about as far as you can push ?
I'm going to put a inline fuel filter before the pump to help,  can anyone suggest anything else from experience. 
I'm trying this to save taking the tank out !
Thanks guys

couple of thoughts based on my experience — firstly it’s a good idea to drain your tank outside ie not in the workshop. Just a precaution. Re inline fuel filter, if you fit one of the conventional plastic ones — check your sender unit is well earthed. I suspect the fuel line is an earth normally but your filter will possibly upset this.
Look up thread serious tank cleaning in search box at top of page
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
In the Austin tanks I've played with I found the brass mesh screen around the pick ups almost impenetrable due to gunge and rust particles and if you can manage it I'd suggest removing it completely. As you plan to fit an in-line filter the screen will be redundant.
How do you remove it Duncan ?

I'm afraid I've drained it in my workshop already Charles !
Yes I'm going to put a inline plastic fuel filter in the pipe,  got to cut it first though. 
My sender unit has never worked since I bought the car,  I just use a marked stick
There should be a filter in your pump and also in the banjo fitting on the carb, do you reall need to fit another ?. I haven’t but there again I have a cleaned and coated tank
Hi morrisminor

The traditional method of clearing the tank gauze is to whack a big screwdriver through it via the drain plug hole !
It looks as if somebody's beat me to it !

I think mine is the original tank and original muck !!