The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lockdown research !
Short wheelbase cars are better in my opinion, better handling and lighter. I've had the whole range from 1939 Ruby backwards and I'm happiest in a black radiator Chummy, fast, agile, topless, fun to drive.

Next choice down is an aluminium or fabric saloon (R, RK, RF), followed by a RL or RM steel saloon, heavier but more civilised.

I have to admit however, that given the opportunity to drive 300 miles in a day, a Ruby has a lot going for it!
(11-06-2020, 09:15 AM)Parazine Wrote: Short wheelbase cars are better in my opinion, better handling and lighter... 
I recall the first time I ever drove a short wheelbase Seven - Tony Griffith's chummy PL 3002 - at a PWA7C track day (we didn't call it anything as exotic in those days) at Mallory Park.

I got out of the car, somewhat shaken, and thought if that's what a chummy is like, I don't want one!
(11-06-2020, 09:01 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: I am very happy with my RM saloon - it even has the bonus of a sunshine roof - and I enjoy the driving challenge of getting the best out of an under-powered car with less than ideal gear ratios, but if I wanted a more relaxed drive, then a de-luxe Ruby (I must have that sunroof!) would be ideal.
I am with Mike!
It is between the early days chummy and later sophistication of syncromesh etc.
One has to think about driving, always a challenge!
cwchrisp Wrote:
Mike Costigan Wrote:I am very happy with my RM saloon - it even has the bonus of a sunshine roof - and I enjoy the driving challenge of getting the best out of an under-powered car with less than ideal gear ratios, but if I wanted a more relaxed drive, then a de-luxe Ruby (I must have that sunroof!) would be ideal.
I am with Mike!
It is between the early days chummy and later sophistication of synchromesh etc.
One has to think about driving, always a challenge!

Syn...Synch....Synchro...

Nope, you've got me there. What's that??
RK Fabric saloon!
Jim
The best and most fun non sports A7's I have driven without a shadow of doubt would be magneto engined Chummy's, I love my Nippy for the added performance but in some ways its not as much fun as the Chummy. I am not a big fan of saloons but that simply my personal taste and the most exciting ever has to an extremely well thought out vintage correct special.
Black Art Enthusiast
Hi,
My (somewhat biased!) preference has to be a Nippy. I've driven most types of Austin 7 over the years and I find the Nippy is probably the easiest to use as a regular car in the modern world given its better performance compared to a Chummy / Box / Ruby etc.
I'm with Malcolm and Alan. SWB Steel Saloon RM/RL (unsurprisingly, all three of us have one!). I don't drive mine as often as I should but when I do it's a joy and surprisingly comfortable and competent over long distances. However, for outright fun but with rather less creature comforts I enjoy my Ulster (unsurprisingly, all three of us have one of those as well!).

Steve
I have little experience of short wheelbase cars, but the very few that I have driven or been a passenger in appear to be uncomfortably 'choppy' to my taste (although, as an owner of an 88" Series 3 Landrover, I should complain!). I agree, however, that a well maintained box saloon is is a perfectly competent little car and my RP is a pleasant and civilised method of transport. It tends to share 'daily' duties with the Mk2 Polo (now 36 years old) but I have recently had to curtail the RP's use, as I have managed to clock up nearly 9K miles in 18 months!
(11-06-2020, 08:38 AM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: Steel short wheelbase saloon (RL and RM).  A slightly tuned engine helps the 4.9 : 1 axle ratio.  
An Ulster rep is brilliant in fine weather but if you are over 60 and live in North Yorkshire, the saloon is the car!

Must add that our 1937 Opal proved a great car in 2017 when we did 3500 miles across Europe in it. Carried enough stuff with lots of fresh air although the passenger side floor became pretty hot with the exhaust pipe underneath. Good layer of wet towels proved the answer.
Seems a long time ago now.