The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lockdown research !
Another one for the RM and Ulster rep.
Looks like I'm going to have to get an Ulster rep ... now, how do I get that past Isabel?  Big Grin
(11-06-2020, 12:27 PM)Steve Jones Wrote:  However, for outright fun but with rather less creature comforts I enjoy my Ulster (unsurprisingly, all three of us have one of those as well!).

Steve

And a blown one is even more fun. 

Charles
Greatly enjoyed the Ulster, but the bloody thing slowly but surely took to shrinking, until finally I could no longer get or out of it. The Ruby is an Austin Seven, with every considerable virtue and little vice that distinguishes the machine. It is also very useful for the "senior" rally driver and navvy, preventing maps or road books turning to papier mache and the navvie's hands developing hypothermia and  not finding a route.
For best of all worlds - The Opal

For best of all worlds when you want to travel 3 or 4 up - The Ruby

For nimbleness and chuckabilty - The RP

For nimbleness and sheer joy of driving it - The Chummy

For failing miserably at trialling but having enormous fun - The Special

p.s. At 6'3" with long legs a short wheelbase car is a bit of a squeeze...
I owned and drove an RP and an Ulsteroid for about 35 years and the RP was was perfectly suited to commuting a 56 miles round trip almost every working day some twenty eight years ago, and was very drivable and comfortable and DRY, which was most essential as it was a pinstripe suited job - as opposed to my 1931 SWB Ulsteroid - which was much more fun, but far less comfortable - I am 6'2". Since they have both long since departed, and having petulantly strayed into Heavy 12/4, (and sshhh! a side-valve Riley) territory for a few years in the interim in the interests of comfort and a nod to advancing years) I have perforce returned to 1933 by way of an AH tourer - surely an RP in 'Chummy-ish clothing? All the fun of a tourer, with the legroom that some of us need... and weather protection as a last resort. The ideal compromise for me, and this one, as they say across the pond, is a keeper.
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
(11-06-2020, 05:32 PM)Charles P Wrote:
(11-06-2020, 12:27 PM)Steve Jones Wrote:  However, for outright fun but with rather less creature comforts I enjoy my Ulster (unsurprisingly, all three of us have one of those as well!).

Steve

Charles

I can understand that, Charles but when they go 'bang', they certainly do go 'BANG'. I remember Damien and I looking at your engine then looking at each other and simply shaking our heads Sick

Steve
Hi All

I’m one for the early cars, simple to own and work on and challenging to drive.  If I want smooth sophistication I will drive my modern (or my Merc 280 SL ?).

Having said that.... if asked what was the best car I have ever owned, I would have to say “the next one!”

Cheers

Howard
(11-06-2020, 07:42 PM)Steve Jones Wrote:
(11-06-2020, 05:32 PM)Charles P Wrote:

Steve

Charles

I can understand that, Charles but when they go 'bang', they certainly do go 'BANG'. I remember Damien and I looking at your engine then looking at each other and simply shaking our heads Sick

Steve

Thanks - What a lovely reminder Steve. Oddly it didn't make a bang. 

But they are immense fun on the road and go sideways at the drop of a hat. 

C
My chummy is as rough as a dogs arse. And because of that it is more fun than anything else.

My nephews son stood on the upolstery in his muddy boots jumping up and down honking the Rist horn all he liked and I cared not a jot.

My daughter and her mate had so much fun driving it like lunatics round a field. Im sure there are now more cracks than there was in the Aluminium, but who cares.

And when I rubbed the front wing along the garage wall, I just put some more of Wilkos finest satin black paint over the scratch with my finger.