The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OIL GAUGE FEED PIPE
Hi All
Hope you are safe and well.
Completing a few jobs on the car and have noticed a slight oil leak on the oil pressure gauge feed pipe.
It appears that the pipe at some stage has been adapted to join the nut fixing, thinner pipe simply push fitted. Not ideal and was wondering if anyone knew of a supplier, I realise it may need to be made to my requirements but not sure on the fixing nut or thread type.
Gauge type, David Harcourt appears to have a similar nut size.
Many thanks
Paul

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

You can get all the pipe and fittings from Paul Beck/Complete Automobilist. Some soft solder, Laco flux and a small blowlamp from B&Q and off you go!

P.S. You'll have to hurry to get the blowlamp, with ever increasing 'ealf 'n safety regulations, we won't be allowed to use them for much longer!
Isn't the pipe soldered to the nipple? Or is the original pipe still on the nipple and your pipe swaged over the top of the original pipe and not soldered on. In which case, remove it all, clean it up and then soft solder it.
What oil leak?
Better picture.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That looks as if it would soft solder quite easily.
Yep, an easy repair; Yorkshire folk wouldn't even consider replacing that   Angel
I would only use silver solder on such a joint. Although soft solder is quite strong enough, it's not so good with the vibration that there is going to be there.

A propane or MAPP blowlamp will easily produce enough heat to Silver solder that joint.
Hi Paul
My advice would be not to repair that.
The nipple is damaged at the end and the pipe is probably brittle hence the crack.
Why not just simply make a complete new pipe you can buy the pipe and the fittings that you require from our esteemed suppliers.
It's a simple job, satisfying to do, then it won't let you down.
Good luck.
Hope that is helpful.
I would caution against using soft solder in this particular application. I had a soft soldered joint at the crankcase end of the oil gauge pipe come adrift during a long fast run in very hot weather in France some years ago resulting in the wife's feet being annointed with very hot engine oil. I re-soft soldered the joint only to have it fail again a couple of years later. Lead alloy solder has a melting point between 166° and 188°C depending on the alloy mix of Tin, Lead, and silver. I concluded that the engine oil temperature was reaching close enough to this point to weaken the joint.
     As already suggested I bought all new components from Paul Beck and silver soldered the pipe to fitting joints at both ends of the pipe - never had a problem since in the last seven years.