The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opal clutch pedal
I find it a bit inconvenient that the clutch pedal on my 1937 Opal is about 3 inches further back than the brake pedal. Fully depressed the pedal is virtuallty down to the floor even with new linings and is quite a stretch for a short legged chap like me. I've tried moving the pedal further forward by adjusting the clutch lever on the shaft. Having done this I then found that the floorplate was partially depressing the clutch because the hole is too small  for the pedal pinch bolt to fit through. After some fiddling I have found the optimum position such that the clutch just clears.

It appears to me that there are several solutions to the problem. One could open out the hole in the floor plate so that the pinch bolt will go through, or one could lengthen the top part of the pedal by welding a bit on or one could fix a block to the existing pedal or one could even wear a surgical boot. All off which have disadvantages. Before making my mind up which way to go I'd welcome the views and experiences of other Jewel drivers - I assume that Ruby and Pearl have similar problems - as to what they have done to solve the problem and improve the driving position.
The adjustable stalk for the clutch pedal is a shorter version of the brake pedal stalk. Perhaps it's worth sourcing another brake pedal stalk and substituting it for the present one?

The same issue on my Opal was solved by a previous owner...

.jpg   pedal.JPG (Size: 61.57 KB / Downloads: 217)

There is a similar distance from the floor to each of the clutch/brake pedals on my Ruby and neither car gives me any problem to drive.
I had this type of clutch pedal on my Ulster. I wanted to move the pedal nearer to me so I simply made a longer stalk. That way, the pinch bolt stays in its original position relative to the floor.

Steve
The strange clutch is a feature of the Austin Seven. I've never had a problem with it. But there again I drive '70s Citroen which have no brake pedal, just a button down on the floor.
I think fitting a brake pedal instead of the clutch pedal would bring them up level.
Jim
When adjusting the pedal position on the shaft it can be a great help if you put a right angled screwdriver in the slot on the left end of the pedal shaft. By this means you can reduce the free travel on the pedal to a minimum, the point at which you are not quite engaging the levers with the thrust race.
Thanks Mike, I think that using the brake pedal is probably the way to go. Hopefully I should receive on within the next few days from one of our trusted suppliers.
Cheers
Chris

Hi Nick, thats quite some hole in the floor.  Don't think I'll follow that route because I would find driving in gumboots extremely difficult!
Regards
Chris