The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1923 sports rear axle
Hi R,

I note your axle has the same date stamp.  Scary.

I take it they would have made them in batches.

Tony.
Amazing coincidence, isn't it?
Any advance on 26th March being last Type I ?!

is it possible that the oblong bit was introduced because the casting might have been thin and not taking well to lots of stamping near the filler hole?

Why else might they want the serial number block so prominent? (indeed, the ratio had moved onto there too by '29)

Tony G - it only needs someone to do a little sorting of one topic; anyway, the GE and Nippy archive have developed pretty damn quickly I'd say. It essentially boils down to someone needing to distil the bits which are on message and discard the bits which are duplicated or leading to a final position. This thread for instance boils down to a range of axle photos and the conclusion that Type 1s presently ended sometime after X and before 27.3.24, when a Type 2 etc etc. And the discussion of an 'S' stamp at the beginning of the serial. Perhaps names of contributors noted if being taken to file in another location, out of courtesy? And a hotlink to the original threads.

Perhaps someone needs to set up a pre '25 archive...
So Rory and Tony you have both independently posted photographs of the same axle, serial number 3773 dated 27/3/24, can you tell us what going on there guys or is it a private joke?
Black Art Enthusiast
No joke on my part - the axle in my photo (taken Oct 1999) belongs to the 1924 car I owned some years ago - KL 1465. The car was very original and almost all numbers were correct, I assumed it was still with KL, which has now been fully restored.

I sold that car along with a number of very early parts I had collected, not least, a fully rebuilt rebuilt rear axle that included a NOS C/W & P.

I think you are correct Ian - they are indeed the same axle and I am now suspecting that KL 1465 is running on the other axle I sold. Tony might be able to confirm this - particularly if he bought the axle from the person I originally sold the car to.
Thats a shame Rory, it would be nice if the axle were reunited with the car, I know it doesn't matter to some people but personally I feel these things are important.
Black Art Enthusiast
It does seem a great pity but we lose control of what happens to cars when they leave our hands - I have given up getting upset about such things.
not quite the coincidence i thought. Big Grin

well done for spotting it though ian, i hadnt.

as the axle was spare from the cars restoration, i bought it. as it is as close as i could get to a 1923 axle for my own build.

im sure the new owner of KL is probably more than happy with the axle he has. but if he would rather the cars original. im happy to sort a swap. 

as you have seen i spend alot of time trying to keep things original, or what is usually more needed is to put some originality back into cars. 

tony