The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OK whats going on here then ???
I start up my Ruby after its engine rebuild and my wife comes into the garage and says, can you turn the engine off, the Telly has 'gone funny' and I can't see Emmerdale !!!!
Every time it runs the telly and also the radio (house) stop working, What part of the Ignition system would cause these issues . Over to the experts. ps ; garage is about 10-15 metres from the house.
Do you have suppressor caps on the spark plugs or just end terminals? do you have copper or carbon HT leads.
I had a similar problem with a Hillman Minx wiping out TV, the car would run fine till it got to running temperature then cut out and not start again until it cooled down, this turned out to be a hairline crack in the rota arm. A crack in the distributor cap can also cause interference. are you using solid copper or suppressed plug leads?
Hi Guys, currently running a standard coil/point +copper core leads and brass plug fittings.
But Ive just bought a complete electronic system using carbon leads and new dizzy+ hall effect baseplate, to be fitted , then I can get the original dizzy rebuilt at a later date.
Definately points towards ignition interferance (officially a contrivention of construction and use act) . The problem should be resolved by your new ignition system .
just wondered which actual bit of the system is acting up, coil, condensor, plug lead, plug cap, etc. ??? so when I return to the original set later I can eliminate the problem, so wife and neighbors dont complain.
I had this problem with my Ruby on the same dizzy and plug leads. It was put right by inserting plug lead suppressors In the four plug leads together with one in the king lead between coil and dizzy for good measure. They are not expensive and easy to fit. Just cut the lead and screw in to each cut end similar to how plug caps screw into leads. They are not unsightly and keep the original look with your brass plug lead ends. Another source of interference could be coming from your dynamo but I doubt it. If it is a 1mf capacitor attached between D terminal and earth should stop it. But try the plug leads first.
Look up Identifying and suppressing radio interference . howacarworks.com

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Hi Flywheel1935

There was a good reason Marconi used sparks in his early radio transmitters - they are excellent at producing radio frequencies. Your plug leads act as little aerials, which radiate the signal out to any radio or TV receivers unfortunate enough to be nearby.

Suppressed plug caps and/or suppressed plug leads considerably reduce the radio frequency current flow, whilst having little effect on the wanted spark currents.

So there is nothing "acting up" or working improperly, it's just how unsuppressed ignition systems are. Changing to an electronic distributor won't alter this aspect. You either need to update your car's HT system to postwar standards or drive fast enough that irate TV viewers can't catch you !
Whats the problem in blocking Emmerdale ? Seems to me that the engine is running fine!
I understand that on many other old cars the distributor carbon was resistive giving some suppression, but the original Seven had none at all and radiates wondrously. I have told befor how I used to give a mate a lift on a Sunday evening from our home town to the city. Despite no exact meeting time he was always standing by his front door. Said he could see me coming on the TV! it is nevertheless surprisng that so much escapes the metal body. Also confuses meters. especially quality analogue and any digital.
With suppression drawn sparks appear tame but work nonetheless.
Note drawing long sparks severely strains insulation of all the components. I can remember when very small my father demonstrating long sparks from the Austin but fortunately no harm done. 
Prior to the invention of valves all transmitters were spark. Could not be modulated with speech so all in code. With voice communication the outcome of Jutland may have been better.
i often wonder if Sevens should have a Pacemaker warning fitted.