The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Norwegian 7?
I have been asked if we can identify the model and year of this  - photographed in the 1940s in Norway. The enquiry has come from the Norwegian son-in-law of the then owner. The eventual fate of the car is not known.

I've not knowingly seen a split windscreen like this one.

Thoughts please?

.jpeg   På Nyheim..jpeg (Size: 85.8 KB / Downloads: 331)

.jpeg   På tur med bilen Pinocchio. (1).jpeg (Size: 98.7 KB / Downloads: 330)

.jpeg   På tur med bilen Pinocchio..jpeg (Size: 95.63 KB / Downloads: 327)
It appears to have a fabric roof, and from the scuttle backwards it does not look like an Austin body. Also it is fitted with trafficators, and different haedlights and mounting brackets from the Longbridge products. Did they export rolling chassis to Scandinavia?
do you not think it looks like a roll back top Tickford-style?
I am glad you are as uncertain as me Robert! I really didn't know what to make of it - hence the question mark in the title.

I shall look forward to the further discussion...
A couple of minor observations:
1. RHD
2. no starting handle
3. trouser envy

The number plate looks like it's been stuck on top of another - an import perhaps?
The side body moulding is reminiscent of an Australian body.

I can see absolutely no reason for the split screen, that’s a real mystery!
I would imagine it started of life as a 1928 to 30 AD chummy.

The doors are chummy, the body line is were the top of the body and doors would have been. Then the top half of the doors and rear body sides are home made.

The windscreen frame is home made, and made to look like it's part of the bulkhead. Not the most professional job. You can see the rivets etc. And the split screen would have been done at the same time.

The hood may be cut back to fit the newly made body sides. The quality isn't there, to put tickfords name on it.

Sorry it sounds like I'm putting it down, I'm not. I'm sure it would have been done in someone's shed cheaply at the time. To see if it was warmer driving in Norway with solid sides on the car.

Tony
I think the car can be dated pretty accurately to early 1930; it has the third style of wing with edge moulding. Tony is probably pretty close to what's happened, probably a home-made hard-top to cope with the Scandinavian winters. Note it has a bottom-mounted windscreen-wiper to help clear the snow off! Sweden drove on the left until 1967 - I'm not sure about Norway - so perhaps right-hand steering is not so surprising.
From the distinctive beaded-edge wings combined with a long scuttle and short radiator I'd agree with Mike, it's early 1930. The "Chummy" style of door points to the car being, originally, an open one - almost certainly modified with an improved "hood" to cope with the harsh winters and 6-feet on snow trying to crush the framework. it's very unlikely that an earlier car would have been "re-winged" - or whatever the expression is.
Sweden did Mike but not Norway.
Though I can imagine in some parts of both countries the distinction may have been vague.