The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RN or RP
My father in the 1940s and 50s would have been very surprised to learn he drove an RP. What equally intrigues me is the term box. It seems to fit the RN/RP proportions and for 1934 separates from the Ruby. But also applied to earlier saloons. Does anyone know when the jargon crept in? And was it always applied to swb saloons?
(just post war early Sevens were so common my father said service station attendants regularly went to the scuttle for the tank. Remember there was a time when it was not diy.)
I have always assumed that the term appeared with the arrival of the Ruby which was considered less box-like.
RN saloons also had an inset sunshine roof with it's internal drains whilst the RP sunshine roof sat over the opening
We’re RN’s originally fitted with sun roofs ?
My friends does not appear to have been.
De Lux RN was fitted with sunroof.
Same with the RP - one of the difference between the standard and De-Luxe version was the sunroof...

Tiger, just out of interest, does your friends RN have a 'smokers hatch'?
I'm delighted to learn that my RN is the de-luxe model !
It made me wonder how 'basic' the standard model was as there doesn't appear to be many luxury items on the car and i still can't find the CD player and SatNav !
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
No but that high backed leather rear seat and air cushions has few equals in any modern, deluxe or not. My RP sold here as a deluxe had no sunroof but the hatch, leather upholstery, trafficators, both headlamps solenoid dipping, and what appear to be aftermarket bumpers, somewhat incongruously solid. With the gearbox inside the cab do not need a heater for trips.
Standard Model. RP

Has Black painted Head Lamps.

On the doors
Pocket different. No trim on bottom of doors, Top steel not fitted.

Seats leather cloth.

Wheels, centres black made from steel.

Windscreen, made of steel painted black.

Smokers Hatch, painted black.

Cost £118 for Stanard Sallon.  £128 Deluxe.
As an interesting aside (well, to me, anyway) is that if you look at a Tickford, you will see that they are constructed from a Standard saloon. Clearly, as the roof was going to be cut off, they didn't want to pay the extra tenner for the sliding roof. So a Tickford ends up with black lamps, black screen, rexine upholstery etc. Seems odd for, presumably, a posh car...