The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RN or RP
(01-06-2020, 11:46 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: So, did the last RNs without vertical seams retain the early A-post moulding

Yes.
I was always under the impression that the RP saloons were all fitted with rear tank, side draught carburettor, 4 speed box and the revised instrument panel. I seem to recall that, some little while ago, there was some discussion surrounding a late '32 car that had all these but had the earlier RN body style, with external rear seams.

Rekkers car and mine are both standard saloons, my body number being 10566, which is a lot closer to Rekkers body number than our respective chassis numbers would suggest.

This would (as Rekkers suggested to me) that the bodies were built in batches and were called to the production line as and when orders for cars were fulfilled. It is therefore possible that 'old stock' RN bodies were fitted to the new model RPs simply to use up existing stock

Does that make the resulting changeover cars RNs or RPs?
If they have the A post moulding shown in Mike's left hand photo they are an RN - if they have the A post moulding shown in Mike's right hand photo they are an RP.

The last of the RNs did not have the vertical rear seems so appear to be more like an RP - the A post moulding is the definitive way to tell.
As I said above, the RN or RP designation is purely the body type; the complete car is either a 1932 model-year saloon or de-luxe saloon (scuttle tank, 3-speed gearbox) or a 1933 model-year saloon or de-luxe saloon (rear tank and 4-speed gearbox, even if built in late 1932). Unfortunately we have now got into the habit of referring to the compete car by the body type, which works most of the time, but not always ... Personally I prefer to still use the term box saloon, qualified if necessary by short/long chassis, 3-speed/4-speed etc.
Thank you Mike (and Ruairidh). You have answered the question I posed in my previous post.
Factory body designations are used in the factory index cards for various part changes - my father tells me that 40 years ago these body designations were not commonly used to describe cars, this has changed however.

We now have more knowledge about them and the changes as production progressed - I think that is a good thing.
Apart from the difference in the scuttle moulding on the 'A' pillar, the later cars had a slightly different stamping to the door panels and the body side to the rear of the 'B' pillar, above the main swage line. This is just below the door glass and the rear side window. On the RN the moulding is parallel to the glass frame whereas on the RP the moulding is bowed downwards slightly.
The advancement of knowledge since internet and this Forum in no small way had been huge, what people in the 60's and 70's knew about the cars compared to now is night and day. That said we have lost a number of people who took their extensive knowledge in specific areas to their grave......really highlights to me the need for us to record and discuss what we know...or think we know.
Black Art Enthusiast
Thanks chaps.
It’s definitely a RN
The existence (or not) of vertical body seams would appear not to be a defining feature of RN/RP bodies. The equivalent 4 seat Tourer of 1932/33 was always "AH", whether with vertical body seams or not.
The body codes, as I understand it, refer to the body pressings. Presumably the beaded moulding for the vertical seams was formed after the body parts came out of the press.