The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More wheels - but this time an interesting set of Ewart Discs
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-7-Seve...SwUK9eyYHk
"....Five Ewart Wheel Discs to suit an Austin 7 with 19" wheels though they may also be suitable for other cars. The Discs were originally fitted to my 1930 Austin 7 Chummy....."

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I must admit I do like the look of them, but I have other ways of spending £500.
I assume you have to take the outer disc off to check tyre pressures.
Jim
they are a beautifully rear item.

but may be a little bit to marmite for most.

many people love there wire wheels, so why cover them?

on the other hand, they could make the right special look very different to everyone elses.

just my opinion.

tony.
Good point Austin, really not going to buy them now.
Lucky you don't want them as the ad says bidding has ended, with the wheels not sold.
It looks a little like the only fixing was a single bolt through the centre of the wheel or does the centre of the rear disk fit over the wheelcentre? ? No need for a captive nut as the two halves bolt together... does this cast some light on the single hole in the sports wheels?

.jpg   20200530_233317.jpg (Size: 66.21 KB / Downloads: 293)
Having spent a good few minutes studying that photo, I think that complex design is specifically so that a centre hole in the wheel is not needed. It looks to me as if the inner disc is fitted to the inside of the wheel, presumably located reasonably securely between rim and centre, the three spokes are then fed through the disc and wheel and secured to the centre boss, this assembly now being a tight fit on the wheel. The outer disc is then secured by the centre stud, and is designed to be easily removable in order to access the tyre valve.
It seems likely to me that you would secure the small disk in some way before attaching the tripod so it stays central under vibration on the salt!

And the discs used on a sports wheel would probably not be these, but a bespoke set, light as possible.
I agree that the Austin competition version is likely to have been a totally different design, but these Ewarts discs have no means of centring the small disc:

.jpg   ewarts crop.JPG (Size: 53.18 KB / Downloads: 214)