The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RN saloon MJ 540
Does anybody know if this car still exists? I saw at Beaulieu in 1968 when it as maroon with a black waist line with a Youngs beer barrel trailer in tow. The only photo I have can't be posted here.
It's still registered with the DVLA, taxed 'til 1st August 2020.
RN Saloon - MJ 640 - is owned by a ScA7C member, similar registration...

.jpg   !cid_5E94EDC2-66F3-4F6A-A017-8479A410CACE@home.jpg (Size: 20.13 KB / Downloads: 276) Here's a photo of MJ 540 at 1968 Beaulieu kindly sent by a friend. That trailer was looks heavy and would have slowed the car a bit. Do you know any of MJ 640 history Ruairidh, it seems to be a bit of a coincidence?
Just a coincidence, Dave.

MJ540 is a maroon car, MJ640 is black; both registered June 1932. It looks like MJ540 changed hands in August last year, MJ640 last changed hands in 2012:

.jpg   MJ540.JPG (Size: 63.5 KB / Downloads: 253)
.jpg   MJ640.JPG (Size: 60.19 KB / Downloads: 252)
MJ 640 was my wife Sheila's car back in the 1960s We built it up from a bare body and chassis purchased for £3 as her Christmas present. (She has never forgiven me). No engine, interior, wings or doors. It was sold to Bob Flockhart for son Gerald in about 1969. We drove up to Doncaster from Slough to meet him on the A1 at Doncaster. It was there we heard a tinkle under the car and it ground to a halt as we entered the services with petrol pouring out. 
A quick look revealed the access plug had fallen out of the bottom of the updraught zenith. We spent ages walking up and down the road looking for it with no success. Ferreted around and found an 18mm spark plug had the same thread. Bob then continued to Glasgow with a spark plug screwed into the carb. I believe Gerald still owns it. 
Gordon
I did a check of the DVLA and it appears there are two cars one maroon and one black whilst only MJ 640 is on the A7CA register Mike.
He does Gordon - I have here several pictures of it as purchased in 1969 (and more recently).

The story of the spark plug is great! Gerald follows the Forum...
I do indeed follow the Forum and was intrigued by the post about MJ 540.

I’ve no early history for MJ640 but between August 1958 and September 1969 she had 6 owners all living in the South East around London. My God Father was working with Gordon Puzey at the time and mentioned to my father that the car was for sale, the asking price was £100. At that time the car was fitted with a Ruby engine, gearbox and back axle but for a bit extra, £25 I think, Gordon included a rebuilt 2 bearing engine crankcase with new bearings, re-ground crank and re-metaled rods.

After the incident with the spark plug the trip north from Doncaster to Glasgow was mechanically uneventful but driving up the old A74 in the dark, with a failing battery, headlamps measured in candle power rather than watts and equally dim rear lamps was a real baptism to owning an Austin. Didn't seem to put me off though.