The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Introducing the Austin Seven podcast Series
Hi all,

I am a journalist making a series of Austin Seven podcasts about introducing younger drivers and owners of pre-war and classic cars in general. Here is my pilot for the series and if you could share and help introduce the fun of owing a classic and more importantly driving them on the roads that would be great. If you have any ideas of how to grow and encourage younger people to take guardianship of these cars, please get in touch at lianekateg@gmail.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPjxWBuNjGs&t=1s
Never get to Europe!! Shame on you Liane!! :o)
Well...I know...A little tongue in cheek from Ray there...They are more reliable than most modern cars and global travel is no challenge to the little A7
In my opinion it would be good to dispel myths and the assumption that they are incredibly slow and hard to drive with dreadful brakes, a properly sorted seven is none of these things. Show some of the sporting side of our world, it is what inspired many of us as youngsters to get involved I find that a lot today are astonished by the performance of a racing seven, and those who are given the opportunity of a drive are often instantly hooked. The other misconception is that the are extortionately expensive, true the price is starting to get up there especially within the UK but still not moonbeams as some other marques are. Parts are easily available, they are simple to work on and understand, there are a few quirks that can trip the uninitiated but plenty of knowledgeable people who can help. The Austin 7 clubs in my experience are generally found to be some of the friendliest and welcoming in the world. I think few of the current generation realise just what Austin was as a company pre war, largest British car manufacturer, a very high quality product, and the seven was revelation in its day and widely copied. Almost all parts designed and manufactured in house, something none of the imitators and challengers could match, and which is very evident in the survival rates compared to the also rans. There thats my starter, others will have plenty of helpful points to add I am sure, I hope that you are successful.
I am sure Mr C will be along soon to rubbish everything I have said, point out the error of our ways and make some derogatory comment about todays youth.
Black Art Enthusiast
Good to see it being driven in such a relaxed manner. Many screen appearances are by drivers awkward in an old car. If there is a lot on Youtube I hope I never find it. Spend too much time as is.
The cars are now too old to attract much nostalgic interest but certainly did in the 1960s when very many had owned one. Curiously many people asked me if it had a 3 bearing crank, the reputation was so bad. I took mine with me to the South Island. One of the
older stevedores was very keen to drive the car on board and quite miffed when I would not leave it with him.
 For years after I ran a Jowett. A different sort of nostalgia encountered. Many ex owners were keen drivers but usually commiserated with some tale of woe, or of endless garage vists trying to get the car to idle.

(posted before the above appeared on my screen)
Thank you for your refreshing and positive contribution. You are so right about the myth busting part of this...Old car's can be a reliable and good to drive, in fact it you want to have the feeling that you are driving a car at all...it has to be a classic! I really enjoyed reading your thoughts and hope that you are happy with me adding your comments to my wider research?

Thank you for your comments. I agree to see the car on it's natural state (and believe me it is driven all of the time) is something we wanted to present.
(26-05-2020, 09:55 AM)Ian Williams Wrote: ... I am sure Mr C will be along soon to rubbish everything I have said, point out the error of our ways and make some derogatory comment about today's youth.

Absolutely not, Ian, I endorse all you are saying.

Well done, Liane, I shall look forward to future podcasts; I'm sure once we get past this present lockdown situation there are a number of potential opportunities for promoting different aspects of the hobby. The social side of static rallies and road runs, and the competition side of racing (as Ian has suggested) and trials and driving tests where 14-year-olds can, and do, compete are two that spring to mind.
What a cracking movie. Seeing two younger people having fun in their old Ruby Is brilliant and in these days of lockdown, I think we have all re-evaluated the need to tear around in a Euro box, when an Austin Seven will cater for probably 75% of your travel needs, economically and with less damage to the environment.
You can take your seven to Europe (When the lockdown is over and ferries resume.) I would recommend the Molentocht Goes In the Netherlands. It is a great weekend and they make you very welcome. As it is in the Netherlands language is no problem as everybody speaks English. You just have to watch out for cyclists as they always have right of way. I did it back in 2014 and had a wonderful time. It’s not that far to the ports if you use Harwich.
Well done with the podcast and eagerness to recruit younger people like yourselves to classic cars especially Austin Sevens. May I suggest if you have not already done so you join a local Austin Seven Club.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Excellent podcast! It's nice seeing a Seven doing what it was designed to do - being transport. MY RP gets used quite a bit too.