The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Benjamin
The Benjamin horn on my 12 volt Chummy works well but I worry that it won't last.  Is there some way that I can help it, explained in simple terms?
Convert your chummy back to 6V and the whole thing will be more happy
Black Art Enthusiast
All you need to do is fit a resistor in line.
(25-05-2020, 10:40 AM)Robert Foreman Wrote: All you need to do is fit a resistor in line.
Agreed!
As resistor one can use a short length (around half a meter, to be tested!) of thin (1 mm) MIG stainless steel wire wrapped on some insulator (wood).
My RL saloon has a Benjamin horn that came out of a farmers outbuilding.   It was given to me in the late 1980's.  I brushed the rust off it and opened it up, the inside was quite good and when I connected up a 12 volt battery, it worked fine.   I duly fitted it to the saloon in 1998 and it has been working well ever since on 12 volts.  in my part of the world it gets used quite a lot.  I have never worried about it wearing out.   Presumably on 6 volts it will not be so strident!
    I found that the Benjamin horn worked OK on 12 volts whilst the Rist horn didn't like it. My solution was to fit a dynamo field resistor in series with the horn. However I found that modern car drivers couldn't hear my Rist horn so I replaced it with the twin air horns father had on his Rover 2000, they hear that.
Thanks everyone, Benjamin and I are now happy.
Dave, I have a very loud Klaxon horn which would be more in keeping, if there was space under the bonnet to conceal it
My RP saloon has its original Rists horn. Unkind people say it sounds like a duck!
My RF Rists horn wouldn't frighten a duck.
As people stand and stare - and smile broadly - as you drive past in your Seven, a toot on the Rist or Benjamin only adds to the entertainment. Some expensive cars used to have a "town and country" setting for their horns - gentlemanly progress thus assured. Horn stories? I had a Citroen AX Diesel whose horn was a miserable, pipi-squeak affair; I replaced it with a pair of loud and stately-sounding two-tone jobs from a retired Triumph 2000; the amusing thing was, that when used, everyone looked around for a bigger and more stately carriage.