The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new Austin Seven arrives at its owner's house
I am still trying to work out the relevance of the Shelley quote. Is it something to do with 13 bhp?
The car is so new the door has not yet dropped.
The owners still a long cut above working class despite it being a basic vehicle. I wonder how Ford 8Y adverts looked. Maybe once again it was the second car. I gather most of the cars sold were de luxe which would fit an upmarket buyer.
 I trust he was not intending to park in the foyer. They look sufficently wealthy to have the luxury of a separate garage.
I have to say I've always found Shelley a difficult " read " . There should be a comma after For and the piece is taken from the poem "Queen Mab ", the fairy in Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet.
The poem traces visions of past and future, leading to a sort of utopia. The piece, I think, intends to convey the joy and thus utopian state owning a Seven will bring!
I concede on my car with SU and later head, the power of imparting joy considerably exceeded the will to do so at 13bhp. I am not sure how much relative joy a Series Morris 8 would have imparted.  When overtaking others, probably less.
Bob Culver wrote:

"The car is so new the door has not yet dropped."

Artistic licence surely?
(29-05-2020, 09:41 AM)David Stepney Wrote: Bob Culver wrote: "The car is so new the door has not yet dropped."   Artistic licence surely?
No, no. The dropped door was a factory option, chosen by those reluctant to show off a new and perfect car to their neighbours...
(30-05-2020, 02:42 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote:
(29-05-2020, 09:41 AM)David Stepney Wrote: Bob Culver wrote: "The car is so new the door has not yet dropped."   Artistic licence surely?
No, no. The dropped door was a factory option, chosen by those reluctant to show off a new and perfect car to their neighbours...

A bit like the patented oil leaks, then?