The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLUTCH TOGGLES QUESTION.
Hi A7 friends. Having just replaced my clutch toggles, with new to a 4-speed box 36 car, I find they are all a little diff in hight ( minimal). Would it be ok to remove a little of the material on the ends that makes contact with the thrust bearing? I know some tap a pin to take up ware then adjust. However, it's a small amount of difference and plenty of metal to play with
What do you think?
RPM
I usually bend them with a slotted lever to get the heights right!
Ivor. Whilst in situ? Do new ones bend or snap?
Well I can vouch for the fact that original ones bend okay cold...if the new ones are the same spec they should be fine...famous last words!
Replica ones usually snap. It depends on how close to the floor you want the pedal Rpm.
Hi
I’ve done the mod detailed in the 750 MC book, it involves drilling and tapping three holes and inserting grub screws. Makes getting the lever height a breeze.h
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
Hi RPM

I tried to hot bend (cherry red heat) some recently and found that cracks developed.  I decided to drill, tap and fit grub screws under fulcrum points rather than risk cracks developing in the new ones I purchased.

I think it’s OK to bend 3 speed toggles as I think they are plain mild steel rather than forged. Others will no doubt correct my metallurgy knowledge!

Cheers

Howard
Just read an old threat by Ian Dunford who stated toggle height don't matter so much long as clutch pushes out and
engages ok.
When I do clutches ( 3 & 4 Speed makes no difference) I always heat and bend, never had a problem.
I always use the method John Dalby of Austin seven services recommended.
You do need do need oxcy/acetylene to do it,  heat only the centre 1/2 inch turn them 90 degrees and they bend very easily.
Do leave to cool naturally ( as Mr Dalby said have a cup of tea) - no cracks, This method is quick and accurate.
It is important firstly to weld (best to use a nickle alloy rod) up any wear in the back plate slots and machine back to standard, painful to do but you do get a really nice clutch.
The lever height has to be spot on all round or otherwise you are wasting your time.
Never ceases to amaze me the number of different opinions on how to do something.
I always prefer the proper engineering approach.
I am sure Austins didn’t heat them up and bend them during production.
The new ones from our cherished suppliers are heat treated, beautifully turned out, seems a shame to ruin them.
If you need to bend them something is wrong somewhere else.