The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drag link cups diameter
Hi All

I’ve made up a new drag link 3/4” longer than standard to ensure it doesn’t go “over centre”. I measured the required extension with the steering arm vertical and the wheels straight ahead.

However I thought that the internal diameter of the drag link (steering side tube in Austin parlance) was 5/8” internal diameter (3/4” outside).  Unfortunately the cups don’t fit a tube reamed with a 5/8” reamer.

Could someone let me know what the internal diameter of the drag link should be?

Cheers

Howard
I've just checked a spare cup set I have in and this measures a couple of thou less than 5/8", so I would suspect your reamer is duff! A good trick I was taught is to dip the reamer in paraffin and it will take a another cut (no idea why, but it works).
Hi Colin

Just an update.  The cups I have are 0.627” bought from a cherished supplier (a while ago and I now cannot remember which).  So just over 5/8”. So my reamer is good but the cups a couple of thou over.

I have an adjustable reamer that I will use to open up the tube very slightly. The cups fit in a standard Austin tube so that must be over 5/8” diameter.  Otherwise I would buy new cups and find they were oversize as well (knowing my luck)!

Cheers

Howard

PS Thanks for the paraffin trick but like you I can’t imaging why it should work!