The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nippy rear axle
My Nippy came in pieces, I am at present assembling the rear axle there is a hole in the axle casing near the pinion bearing race, should there be a retaining ring held in place by a grub screw or something else.
There should be a pin to locate the bearing and a sprung retaining ring, I don't have a picture at present but if you get stuck and can not work it out or find illustrations come back to me
Black Art Enthusiast
If a ball race pinion the retaining ring is not required, which may be why it is missing.
It is a roller bearing, I will have another look through my bits to see if I can find the part, thanks for the info.
Tony Betts will probably be able to supply you with missing parts
Black Art Enthusiast
Hi
The Nippy axle is identical internally to the production saloons the only difference is the crownwheel and pinion,
The assembly is identical to box saloons or rubys.
Nippy rear axle is different to ordinary saloon inthat the case is bigger to accommodate the larger crown wheel .
Zeto I am not sure about that !

I will check my parts list and measure the Type 65 Nippy axle behind my lathe,
There is an box saloon case beside it, and a spare Ruby Girling axle case.
The Girling axle case is also visualy the same apart from the brake back plate ends.
The outer case is visually identical to the box saloon one.

I have fitted David Cochranes sports crown wheel and pinion set into another spare axle which is fitted to my Type 65.
( I Hillclimb the car so I want to preserve the original back axle )

The parts list has the crown wheel & pinion 90 degree fill adaptor and torque tube anchorage as special items, there is no axle case listed so that is the same as the standard car.

Nippy 8-45
Box Saloon Ruby 8-42 So not much difference in crownwheel diameter.

https://austinsevenfriends.co.uk/Bruce/D...tments.htm Gives a good exploded view.

The mechanics and internal assembly are identical between the axle cases.
The Type 65 had the earlier pinion design without shoulder as did most Nippys.
So a difference in torque tube internals from the 37 onwards design with the shouldered pinion.

Brakes and backplates changed as did the torque tube anchorage.
My references are from the three axles in the garage Bill Williams ( A7 specials ) 750 Companion,Chis Gould ( Guide to Type 65 & Nippy)
Quote from Chris Gould,
Rear Axle, The rear axle was the same as the touring car of the same time except it was fitted with a 5.625 ratio. The casings had 8/45 stamped on them with a large S to denote Sports.
My Type 65 Axle corresponds with his description.
( It actually has a 1937 shouldered pinion fitted so it has been replaced with the later part which was also fitted to late Vans )
The 5.625:1 CWP and the 5.25: 1 CWP are exactly the same overall dimensions. The only difference is in the 'thickness' of the teeth so as to get 3 more teeth into the same diameter crown wheel. That was done so that the lower ratio was able to be fitted into the same casing as the 5.25:1 version. That's the Achilles heel of the 5.625 CWP as the 'thinner' teeth lead to the set up being not as strong as the 5.25:1 version and so many of them being destroyed whilst trialing - mine included.

The Ulster 'Big Banjo' casing was larger than its touring counterpart but that's a different discussion.

Steve
Hi Dickie 65, I stand corrected! My comment was made from personal experience. Years ago I bought a new Nippy crown wheel and pinion from Kirby Wisk, it was marginally too big to fit into the casing, upon contacting Kirby Wisk I was told “ you obviously don’t have a sports axle, they are bigger” 
I am aware some of the Ulsters have larger axle casings, but aside from the KB comment I thought I had read it  somewhere else. Be interesting to see if the register of the 2 halves of the axle is bigger, never got the bottom of my oversize crownwheel, just sent it back.