The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
War Office Vehicles
Hi Everyone,

Its a bit of a long shot but I was just wondering if anyone on the forum owns or has access to any of the vehicles listed in publication 1395 (The War Office contract)? I was wondering if someone had pictures of the dash panels in these vehicles? In particular the ammeter. The reason for my questions is that I believe these vehicles shared the same ammeter as the late Nippy's, but I'm just struggling to find any reference images.

http://archive.a7ca.org/wp-content/uploads/PL_1395.pdf

Thanks

Matthew
is that based on part number or on images in the above, Matthew? I'm sure there was a series of articles in the Grey Mag, which informed David ?Morgan's recent book.
Hi Jon,

Its based on the part number and to a lesser degree the images (as I know you can't always trust Austin illustrations). Having said that, if you look at the illustration in 1406 - http://archive.a7ca.org/wp-content/uploads/PL_1406.pdf. To my eye this looks like the more commonly seen ammeter - 2H1445 and I'd say there is a subtle difference.

Unfortunately, I'm rather embarrassed to say I'm not a member of a club (I believe this is how you get the grey mag) so I haven't actually seen those articles.

Thanks
It's no good relying on illustrations in the parts lists (or indeed in sales catalogues); if the basic component didn't change materially then the old illustration would typically continue to be used.
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

That's what I don't understand, because to my eye the illustrations look slightly different and and part numbers are different. So I've assumed that they are different gauges.

Thanks
just for the benefit of others getting their eye in on this thread, what are the salient differences between them, Matthew? You might have a passing Military owner..
You really should join an Austin 7 Club, Matthew. You are missing out on not getting the Grey Mag at the very least. Where are you in the country?

This may help you... http://a7ca.org/member-clubs/club-meetings-map/
Hi Jon

If I'm completely honest other than the part number I'm 100% sure yet, that's why I was hoping for some reference pictures.

The only thing I can add is that according to a Lucas 1930-39 catalogue I have, there were only three versions of ammeters used in this period as follows:

Part Number
AMP37B - used between 1929-32 (Model CZ3/BN)
364008 - used in 1933-1936 (Model CZ13/A17) - the one pictured above is a CZ13/L
364427 - also used in 1935 & 1937 - (Model CZ26/L1)

I hope that makes sense. I'm conscious of what Mike has said about the illustrations. I'd be interested to know if there are any Sevens fitted with the 364427 version just for visual comparison.

Thanks

Hi Hugh,

Sorry I've just seen your reply. I'll definitely look at joining a club. I'm in Lancashire. I think what put me off initially was that the club nearest to me is a good hour's drive and without a running car I didn't feel like I could actively participate. 

Thanks
On another tack about 'military vehicles' does anyone have any knowledge of the MV registration (I think Middlesex?) being
part-allocated to the Armed Services for use on staff cars and the like? My reason for asking is that I once had a very late (January 1939 Ruby which was registered MV something or other, which had a cast-iron 'nose piece' for the starting handle. A distant memory stirs about this from The Automobile "comments section many years ago. It was thought that the cast-iron item was to allow for unsympathetic and muscular squaddies overdoing things!
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
MV registrations were originally issued by Middlesex from July 1931 to some time in mid-1932; then from number 4000 they were issued on an 'irregular basis' (which usually means they were government issues in batches) through to June 1933. Later MV variants (ie AMV, BMV, CMV etc) appear to have been regular Middlesex issues from January 1934 onwards.