The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dizzy Refurb ????
Is there anybody out there that refurbs Austin 7/ Lucas Dizzys ? I've a small selection of various A7 Lucas Dizzy bodies, and it appears !!!!( according to Powerspark ) that Dizzys are earth specific ???. I've always assumed that my 1935 ARQ Ruby is/should be NEG earth. I'm looking at the Powerspark A7 Electronic Dizzy, as an option, but would prefer to keep the original, subject to a rebuild, bearings worn and cam 'floats' causing rough running. Looking at keeping 2 and selling/trading the other 3.
Electronic distributors may be polarity conscious, but "traditional" ones are not.
To be honest, that's what I thought. Still interested in getting my 'stash' refurbed, though, so if anyone up for the task just shout.
Unless completely knackered distributors are not very hard to overhaul yourself, though you may find that certain individuals have a monopoly on the supply of some of the parts you may need. You also need to be careful where you get your drive gear from. I think it a great idea to have a couple of refurbished ones on your shelf but if paying others to do the work for you I suspect you may struggle to turn a profit on your spares.
Happy to break even on the spare Dizzys, Just need 1 one the car and one on the shelf, for a spare engine I'll build up in the next year or two. thought on bearing/bush suppliers, tried the obvious ones, but prefer to farm out as I've cleared out my lathe/pillar drill/etc in my last housemove. open to offers still.
According to the website 'The Distributor Doctor' does Lucas Distributor rebuilds-

http://www.distributordoctor.com/
Thanks Tony, left a contact page message with the D/doc/
Heres the interesting bit, he asks for Polarity ???? so I guess Dizzys are/can be Polarity specific. ???
flywheel,
Polarity only applicable to electronic type dizzys, not DJ or DK as on Austin 7s.
Perhaps the polarity question is just to test the naivety of the potential customer??
Far more relevant would be the question "direction of rotation viewed from the driven end?"(clockwise or anti-clockwise)
http://www.distributordoctor.com/
(10-05-2020, 01:39 PM)Ian McGowan Wrote: Perhaps the polarity question is just to test the naivety of the potential customer??
Far more relevant would be the question "direction of rotation viewed from the driven end?"(clockwise or anti-clockwise)

May I suggest you go to his website and you will see the question is asked !!!!!!!! Why ?? when I speak to him I"LL ASK .