The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
High or low frame - what is the particular difference?
Bela, the photos you posted in your other thread on your car clearly show the chassis frame used is a low-frame Ruby-type of 1934-38 manufacture; it has the up-swept rear extensions and the full-width standard/semi-Girling brake cross shaft.
Thank you Mike.

Now it is clear but I have not been aware about the existence of low and high frame before. In the mentioned thread "early Ruby frame" was the clue. Because I got the spare part lists and the information of users with good knowledge things are sorted well. Thanks to all.
"Is it possible to list the differences between a Ruby and Nippy chassis? Is there a definitive list? It would be very interesting to know."
Tony
A Nippy chassis is quite unlike a Ruby Chassis in almost evert aspect, but as Mike suggested is very similar to a late high chassis, think 34 box saloon. The main difference is down to the crossmember's and bracketry attached to them, that and the odd hole in the main rails for exhaust bracket and the like, I am not sure there is a definitive list, Chris Gould's guide will give a fair idea, as will Jon Edgar's Nippy 65 site. I could list every detail difference between my chassis and a box chassis but that would probably still not be definitive as there were some known detail variations from the first Type 65 to the last of the Nippy's. its amazing what we are still learning about Austin 7's I corresponded with Jon a lot during the period he was constructing his site, there were a few things we discovered during the course of that which Jon has published.
Black Art Enthusiast
(11-05-2020, 09:11 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: .... its amazing what we are still learning about Austin 7's....
Indeed, 50 years ago we all thought there was nothing more to discover. How very wrong we were.
(11-05-2020, 12:27 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote:
(10-05-2020, 09:10 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: Ha, yes sorry Mike, I was just trying to be clear in case anyone out there had a Nippy or similar which had lost it original chassis, its not as simple as replacing it with a late box saloon chassis if you are seeking authenticity.
Is it possible to list the differences between a Ruby and Nippy chassis? Is there a definitive list? It would be very interesting to know.

Matthew has recently posted a parts list comparison for the Nippy vs standard on the Nippy archive site in my link below. It is interesting to me that the VSCC has quite poor guidance re Nippy replicas on Ruby chassis! (see 'chassis notes points 4' ahem. http://www.vscc.co.uk/vsccMedia/1944.pdf Who is responsible for a revision of this?)