The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front shockabsorber

Hi Paul
Herewith the mod - hope this is clear. It doesn’t affect steering or handling adversely.
Are the holes in the end of the blades drilled out to 3/4"?

If not, the connection is solid and would fracture the pin on the axle.

Wouldn't it?
It’s not totally rigid as there is the rubber bush inside — it’s a 3/8 “ pin I think, kept as standard.

(05-05-2020, 04:30 PM)Charles Levien Wrote: It’s not totally rigid as there is the rubber bush inside — it’s a 3/8 “ pin I think, kept as standard.

im wrong here I think — the rubber bush is just for location. However it works and I’ve never had a problem with this mod — used it for years.
Me too. The blade ends are free to rotate on the pin. The bush just serves as a spacer. The damper is located by the two nuts locked together on the pin threads. No need even to cut the ally link in half. Just push the unused end between the two blades (in case you decide to revert to as it was)
How much of an improvement does this mod make and could it be used with a double arm shocker?
For a double arm shockabsorber the arms need to be drilled out to 3/4" and a spacer welded in so the rubber bush has movement, also when fixing one end the bush is retained by large washers.  Terry.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The effect of fixing one arm to the axle beam causes it to act as a Panhard rod, limiting the lateral movement of the axle relative to the longditudinal axis of the car. You should notice an improvement in the handling as a result. Don't do both ends though!
All those who doubt the advice should try it, well proven to work! Terry's version is of course better for longevity but straight over the pin will suffice to try the idea out, you will just wear both pin and blades over time.
Black Art Enthusiast
I found that with the bowed axle on my Nippy the shock absorber arm lines up exactly with the hole in the axle. With a straight axle it causes the car to be slightly off-centre. Doesn't seem to do any harm.
I now use rubber buffers in the shackles which are simple and work very well.
Jim