The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inner front wheel bearings
Hi All,
Long time since I removed inner bearing from front inner hub!
Is there a knack to it please?
Thanks,Chris
I may have just been lucky, but a bit of heat and slapping the hub on a short piece of large diameter pipe has worked for me.
Using the hub puller, pull off the hub , remove the axle nut, put the hub back on with with wheel nuts and pull off the whole assembly with the puller.

Dis-assemble the hub from the felt housing and the back bearing should tap out. 

If you are not a purist re-assemble with sealed bearings.
A good fitting bearing is a virtue and not common. Should you for some reason splash out on a new sealed bearing the steel spacer washer must be retained. Unless wading, the standard bearings only require packing with grease, definitely not the whole hub.The bearings are very adequate. and unless damaged or rusty should last forever.
Thanks for the tips, very useful.
The inner bearing was indeed tight and I was worried putting too much force on the inner race.
An AF socket, used as a spacer, fitted the bearing lip to enable me to knock out the bearing.
The bearing looks good, so its wash out and repack as you suggest.
I'm guessing the the inner diameter profile of the spacer washer faces away from the bearing?
Thank you for your time, we have plenty of that in UK at the moment, hence all the A7 jobs getting done!