The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many of us are using the Austin crankshaft?
Having recently checked the original crankshaft in our family heirloom RN saloon and found a crack in it, I am curious to know how many of us are still using the Austin crank. Before replacement cranks were marketed there was no choice and I and everyone else must have done many thousands of miles without thinking of crank failure at that time. 
Cheers,
Dave.
3 cars with new crank, one without. The without one doesn’t get used much. Seems to me if you are rebuilding an engine it makes sense to have a new crank, but I don’t think I’d strip my engine just to replace one that’s otherwise ok.
Alan Fairless
'25 Chummy     original 1/8" crank.
'28 Chummy     replacement 1 5/16" Austin crank.
'28 saloon        1 5/16" Barlow crank.
'33 Type 65      original 1 1/2 " crank...and rods.
'34 Speedex     no idea!!
My 1931 RM is running on it's original 1 5/16" crank and rods ... and yes, I'm very conscious of it's potential vulnerability! I keep telling myself since it was off the road from 1960 to 2012, it's probably seen less use than those I was running on in the 1960s ...
My RP is running on its original crank. Having seen 100,000 miles come up, I have reason to believe that the car has done 102K miles genuine. No funny noises so far but I do have a spare crank and rods (also Austin).
Original 1 1/2 pressure fed crank in my Arrow. Passed a visual inspection when I rebuilt the engine 10 years ago, (0 Miles ago). In retrospect should have done more at the time
Both my cars run on Reliant cranks. Last A7 crank I had punched a hole through the crankcase on the M5, in those days I had a dad I could call to come and rescue me!
Hi Dave
You've worried me to death now, I've got a 31 RN which, as far as I know, is still using the original engine internals.
Next winters project was an engine rebuild, hope it lasts that long.
There seems to be two schools of thought that cause crank failure. One is over revving and the other not revving enough !, probably both are correct
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
Hi, I've just rebuilt my spare engine with a second hand 3 bearing crank but not currently running A7 crank.
Years ago there was a western on telly called Kung Fu featuring David Carradine as Kwai Chang Cain, a martial arts expert. During his flashbacks to his "initiation" in Tibet or wherever he asks a question of "The Master"....

Master, if I worry will the future change?
No, Grasshopper.

There you have it.
33 RP - original crank and rods. Nineteen twelvety eighty million miles. Many big hills. Still going.

Hoping this hasn't tempted fate.

If you'd still been at Davy's Dave they could have ground out that crack & welded it up for you... Smile