The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finishing a special.
Hi all, most people probably know I have been working on my special now for the last 9 years now. I have been making the most of lock down to try to get it done. Mainly since I want to drive the damn thing (we we are allowed out) and also because I am already starting to get distracted on my next project, a Riley 9.

This was all being documented on my blog which unfortunately suffered a server failure. Luckily a lot of it was on the Internet Archive so the mostly recovered site is again up here: http://www.asciimation.co.nz/austin7

Ian has been suggesting I post some progress here. This is the car as of this morning. It is running and drive-able, it's just finishing off details now.

[Image: special_5May2020.jpg]

The rear guards and panels were finished up a week or so ago. The fronts still need to be hammered smooth and attached properly and I am still pondering what valancing will be done there. I have just been rebuilding the exhaust to run under the car so it is much cleaner. I spent yesterday afternoon making a Brooklands fishtail for it. Getting the pipe is proving a bit tricky in lockdown though.

Instead of blogging I have instead been making little films and putting them on YouTube instead: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJqzEbh...j3Hrv2mPZA

Once the front guards are done I need to sort out a screen. Originally I was thinking Brooklands screens but the car is quite chunky so something a bit bigger is probably best to balance it out. Ian suggested a fabricated screen and I think that will work well.

Then there are lots of little details. Bonnet and boot straps, lights, number plate mount and so on. And once it is registered I will supercharge it (easier to do that after it is road legal). I am currently only working 3 days a week since I work for a consultancy and business is somewhat quiet that the moment. Lots of time for the car and other projects.

The body isn't based on anything in particular. I just made it up as I went along. I mainly wanted something that didn't look like an Ulster! I am thankful for the help and input from the likes of Ian and Joss. I came into this project with no pre-war car experience at all so I have learned (and am still learning) a lot from them!

Simon

Not sure why the image embed isn't working. Let's try again. Failing that click here: https://www.asciimation.co.nz/pictures/s...ay2020.jpg

[Image: special_5May2020.jpg]
Hi Simon,
I'm proud to be the first to felicitate you here (because I'm one hour ahead of GB!). Then I followed your blog about this car from the beginning.
It is a great pleasure too that the blog is fixed.
The line of the car is really beautiful and elegant. I would suggest a V screen myself. I reckon that would do with the shape.
Well done man!
Renaud
Hi Simon

The car has come long long way and is now looking superb! Those rear wings look excellent.  Can’t be too far off getting it on the road?

I’m with Renaud on the V screen.... Very 30s and would complement the wings.

Cheers

Howard
And another vote for the 'V' screen. Well done chap, looks great and looking forward to the road trip posts!
Anyone who has not followed Simons build form the start would find his blog extremely interesting and informative regarding the techniques he employed to create the car.
Black Art Enthusiast
Wow! That's a cracker, and how nice someone's produced a special in a 1930s style rather than going down the route of an easier and simpler 1920s style.
Nice work and very original Simon.
Simon,
A beautiful looking car! I have been following your blog since the start. May we have more views please.
Cheers,
Dave
it's looking great! I like the 'separation' on the front wings too.
Make sure its date stamped somewhere so people know when and where it was created in 200 years time...
It is also with looking at some of Simons other projects, he is very prolific and inventive with the things he builds
Black Art Enthusiast