The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inspection
Newby to the forum...

Considering the purchase of an Austin 7 Ruby Mk 1 (1935 (BZ 3006)) as a first Classic.  Wondering where to start in terms of having it inspected / what due diligence is necessary?  I'd be willing to spend on worthwhile improvements / maintenance.  Car is currently in North East England.

As a novice to old car ownership I'm unaware of the maintenance, but I'm "handy".  Would hope to cover 5k a year as a second / weekend motor.

Appreciate any advice, thanks in advance!

Karl

Advertisement

Video (Presume just before current Advertisement)
I would suggest you contact one of your local clubs and see if an experienced member could view the car with you, in sound order a Ruby is as good a place to start as any. You won't find a better served vintage car than an Austin Seven when it comes to spares and advice.
Black Art Enthusiast
I presume you have already driven a sound example of the model you fancy and have decided you like it? Obvious, I know,but always a wise precaution!

Regards,
Stuart
Thanks, I'll try and get in touch with someone locally.

And, no, I haven't had a chance to test one yet, but I'm considering my options (for insurance to test drive).

Fairly decided upon a Ruby or a Big Seven... Like the Big for the extra power(?), as I plan to use it regularly.

Karl
I am not sure you would find a Big Seven any more sprightly that a good Ruby, the true seven is also far better served with spares and other help than the Big Seven. You are probably well advised to try both before making any decision.
Black Art Enthusiast
I strongly advise you to drive a few samples before embarking on the purchase of ANY CAR . Vintage cars are slow, some slower than others. Some have luggage space some don't . Luggage and passenger space quite often equals slower speeds. There is nothing wrong with a Ruby they are as usable as any Austin Seven when properly maintained.
You should be able to drive another car on your modern insurance , but only third party, check before you do with your insurance company.
Good luck with your endeavours to get into our world.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Just to back up what others have said:

The Seven is well supported for spares and advice.
You can get used to the odd suspension and the feeling you have no brakes.

You do need to drive one, because the interaction between you and the other road users is important to your enjoyment and the usability of the car.

In the 1970's a Seven was my only transport.   The roads were quieter and average speeds a lot lower.

Now, I do not like driving on main roads.  If you pull over to let the queue behind you pass, within a minute of pulling out you have another queue.

I am lucky, I can drive to work along mainly country lanes.   But if, as is often the case, I want to go into town after work, I hesitate to take the Seven.

If I can get the car's speed up to a reliable 50mph, even on minor hills, I will feel a lot more comfortable.

Having said this, I still usually have a big grin whilst driving the Seven, even after 40 plus years of owning one.

Simon
Just one thing worth bearing in mind Karl... the performance of a standard Austin Seven is generally what you might call rubbish, if you're comparing it with a modern.

A saloon whether Box or Ruby is unlikely to go much faster than 45mph on a flat road, possibly 50 downhill with a following wind. As for climbing hills then you're looking at a long slog in either 3rd (4 speed box) or 2nd (3 speed box) and going no more than 25-30mph. The brakes can best be described as between non existant and adequate and the steering isn't very precise even on a really well maintained car. They can be cramped and uncomfortable, noisy and draughty. It will take you a long time to clock up your 5000 miles a year, probably all year. But whatever. I love mine and wouldn't swap it for a gold pig (if I could find one)

Make sure you take someone with you that knows Austin Sevens before you part with your beer tokens.