The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A7 lumps in cylinder bores
Hi
I am new to Austin 7s and this forum, looking for some guidance.
Finally stripped down the old engine (not run for at least 20 years) It was not seized and turned over relatively ok but a slight tight spot could be felt.
Does anybody have any ideas as to how the bores can have raise lumps in them? They are 0.060” oversized bores. The marks look like impact damage from outside the cylinder bore but you can't get to the areas where they are. Please see photos.
I have 3 noticeable raised areas, one in each bore in No. 1 3 & 4. They are about 1/4" in diameter. Could it be water / freeze damage before I acquired the car, they are all around 2.75 inches from the top of the block. The lower end of the water jacket is around 3" its the only thing I can think of.

I am not sure how thick the material is in this cylinder area and if these lumps could these be honed off as the rest of the bores look ok ?  I guess they are only around a few thou raised.
No.4 piston has slight damage where the lump is but No.1 and No.3 do not.

Please see photos.
Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Can't tell too much from your photos, sorry.
Are these lumps on the valve chest side of the block? I've seen distorted bores on the other side where chaps have been over-enthusiastic with water manifold bolts, but there are only 2 of those.
Roger is almost certainly right,
You will need to resleeve if now any way.
hi,

your first picture shows the corrosion in the waterways.

is this were the bulges are.

if so we are looking at the bulges being the bores getting thinner.

but seeing the studs being screwed into the side of the bores is always fun.

tony
I have had bulges in the bores but only on sleeved blocks.I guess where the rust has got between the block and the liner. My experience of frost damage always shows as cracks on the outer jacket. (Offside)
Thanks for your replies. The bumps are quite random one is on the valve side, in the second photo it can be seen just below quarter to the o'clock, not in line with any studs, block and head are quite corroded internally. The water manifold area is quite bad and needs a repair plate. I don't think the block has  been sleeved before.
Can you recommend some experienced repairers for this ?
Rough budget would be nice to have.

Thanks
Neil
Valve seats look strange
I often see blocks with quite deep internal corrosion pits at the base of the water jacket, my guess is that in your case you have areas weakened by corrosion and then pushed in through water freezing at some point. If it is only one or maybe two bores you could probably have sleeves fitted.
Black Art Enthusiast
Given that getting a block resleeved is quite an expensive business, getting a better block might be the way to go. They are not difficult to find, and I am sure that someone like Tony Betts could sort you out a decent one.
Hi Neil,

Bit of a long shot I suppose, but you wouldn't happen to be the Neil Hindle who was in my year at Art School in Manchester back in the early to mid 1970's? Neil was originally from the Nelson / Colne area and I was a guest at his marriage ceremony there. I sadly lost touch with him, his wife and children in the early 1980's. Probably not you, but worth the ask as I see you're based in Rochdale.

Jeff.