The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Testing Starter Motor
Hi,

I've been getting everything together to finally fit a starter to my Ulsteroid.

I have what looks like a reasonably good starter motor but I haven't been able to check if it works OK as I don't have a serviceable battery and don't really want to buy one whilst I can't actually drive the car.

Just out of interest I laid it on the bench and tried connecting it to an old style battery charger hoping it would at least spin a little but there was no sign of life at all although the charger did show a current was flowing.

Is it just that there's nowhere near enough current available to spin the motor or do I have a problem?   I'd have thought that if it was just a lack of adequate current then the charger fuse would have blown.

Anyway, do I wait until I have a battery or start looking at the motor now?   If I do need to overhaul it then apart from cleaning the commutator and checking the brushes what electrical checks should I perform?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

John.
You could use a 12 volt battery and jump leads on the bench. Should at least tell you its working, should not do any damage. My special has been running 12v for 40 years without a problem with the 6v starter.
(01-05-2020, 10:22 AM)Peter Sweeney Wrote: You could use a 12 volt battery and jump leads on the bench.  Should at least tell you its working, should not do any damage. My special has been running 12v for 40 years without a problem with the 6v starter.

make it secure before you juice it up as it will kick back.
Hold it in the vice, a lot of torque reaction particularly on 12v.
Stay safe, stay out of A&E
Hi John
I had exactly the same problem with my RN starter, no amount of urging would get it to spin even on the bench. I carefully dismantled it and found the bushes on the ends at the armature were seized. A simple clean and lube solved the problem. I took the opportunity to clean the brushes etc whilst it was apart. Woke like a charm now.
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
A typical starter motor even on no load will draw an initial current of 3-400 amps. There is no way a standard battery charger will give enough current to get a starter going.
Robert Leigh
Thanks for all the advice.

I'm a bit reluctant to take the battery off the modern as it leads to all sorts of issues with the electric windows, entertainment system etc.

I think I'll just install it as is and if there's a problem when I eventually get a battery I'll have to deal with it then.

I was just hoping to eliminate any potential problem as when we can eventually drive our cars again I'll be very reluctant to start stripping it down.

John.
Whatever you do, don't take the battery off the modern even if it is flat. Many cars these days will need to have the on-board computer and stuff rebooted if you do.( RTFI )