The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
shorten the dynamo
I did away with the Dynamo and bolted the end plate with the distributor straight to the fan casting. A broken one so I filed the remains of the fan hole off. Rotated the casting 180 degrees and had a short shaft made. Also a V belt pulley to fit the cam end. The bottom bracket for an Alternator bolts onto the cover plate holes and a bracket bolted to the cylinder head studs supports the top. I have tried to put a photo of this arrangement but it's too big. It is on a previous post I made. Hope you can find it. Pete
I have run my Seven for the last five years without a working dynamo, and not experienced a flat battery ... yet! I always keep the battery connected to an Accumate charger/conditioner when its in the garage, and I have many times been out all day, returning with perhaps an hour's run on headlights without issue or even resorting to the starting handle. It's been sheer laziness on my part not to fix it; perhaps this lockdown will be the final motivation to sort it out  Rolleyes
Thanks Peter,
I will have a look through previous posts, and try and find the photograph.
I think I've sorted it now.
 I'm just assessing whether I can manage to cram a fan and pulley into the small space available.
I use an electric fan. fitted to the Rad core. An alternator as it charges at lower revs from the half speed of the camshaft. There is a drawing for this on the earlier post. Pete
Struggling to find the earlier post Peter.
Was it on the old forum perhaps?
Can you give me a clue what the title of the post might have been?
Took delivery of an aluminium Mini radiator today- made in my home town of Walsall- no Chinese rubbish, and it fits a treat in the cut down Austin rad.
Hi Steve Just looked at my previous posts and found the photos and drawing under 12 Volt conversion. Hope that works. Pete
Thanks for taking the trouble Pete.
Very interesting- the idea of swivelling the distributor drive around to make room is very neat.
Steve
But then you need an anti-clockwise distributor. Terry’s method looks ideal
Distributor from a side valve Reliant. Fitted straight in Others probably available Markings on side Lucas DKA4 O 400206 Type BN 24 238 8"
If it helps Pete