The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
shorten the dynamo
It's the body from this car. I built it in 1979, cheap plywood, doped Irish linen and an absolute minimum of metal.
It was on a 1937 Ruby chassis with extensions supporting my Box saloon fuel tank. Wide Bowden front axle. Bowdenex brakes. 15" wheels. 1934 engine, 4 speed Super Accessories gears.
Painted bright red with Woolworth's enamel. It was raced very successfully by Kevin Martin. It was known as The Red Car.
In 1982 I modified the body to get a much lower seating position but before I could finish the work the driver had moved on to other things!
It was never re-assembled but most of the components are being actively recycled.

Henry-  great to hear from you, and to know where the car came from- yes indeed cheap ply, but no remaining doped linen!
I'm assuming that its on the same chassis, but modified- or did you have a dropped front axle? It's difficult to see on that photo.
It's got a finned Cambridge head, and SU manifold at the moment.
Sobering that the youngster must be over 40!
It will be fun getting it going again.
Are you interested in a few detailed photographs ?
Regards
Steve

Thanks for that Simon- I am wanting to get it going fairly quickly, so take note of that advice.
I'm not intending to fit lights, and I guess it will be dead easy to bump start.
It wouldn't be too difficult to shorten a standard dynamo if you have a big enough lathe and a scrap dynamo - Obviously, it wouldn't be a dynamo once shortened ! Sorry, I can't remember where the photo came from.
If the engine is tractable, you might be able to start by lifting a rear wheel off the ground onto a suitable stand and turning it in gear.

Sounds daft, but maybe easier than pushing - or maybe you have a handy hill to park on.

I have seen a lowered car with the starting handle working through a hole in the radiator core.

With a tuned engine I think you are going to need a starter.   A 12 volt system would help a lot, in a no dynamo car.

Again, with a tuned engine, a fan may be important.   But, if it was mine, I'd drive it first and find out what I could get away with, rather than have it in the garage in bits.

Cheers

Simon
When shortening the dynamo body the spacer tube is normally 2" long the photo is one for a reversed dynamo housing for a 23D Lucas distributor(mini cooper)           Terry.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Terry- that is a really nice bit of kit. Do you make those up?
If you fitted a magneto engine you may reclaim the space you need for the distributor . Even if not the bulge needed would be simpler.

C
Steve yes I have made a few from dynamo spare parts from club spares, the early ends are better as they have ball bearing at both ends.  Terry.
Thanks Charles
Yes- I had been thinking about that, and I do have a spare mag engine.
Things to think about...

Terry- maybe I could ask you to make one for me if I source the spares?
I'm not far from you in Wells
Thanks
Steve
A good 6V battery will power the car for a surprisingly long time.
In the 60s I had a 1930 fabric saloon at Dundee university. The dynamo failed, the starting handle fell off at the end of term. I took the car for a final drive round the highlands and next day drove the 400 miles to Cambridge. I had no trouble starting with the starter until I ran out of petrol about 10 miles from home. Coasted down the hill into fortuitously placed garage. The starter wouldn't turn the engine but a push, jump in and engage gear started it and I drove on and finished the journey.
Jim